cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamron 150-600mm lens

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Looking for a telephoto lens for a T7. Found a 150-600mm Tamron lens. Several on eBay selling for about one grand.  Anyone familiar with this brand? Reviews on a couple of websites are five stars.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
14 REPLIES 14

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I have one, and it works very well. Others here prefer the sigma sport. Here are a few images I took with it:

IMG_8196 (1).jpegIMG_7718.jpg

I got mine used from Lens Rentals

Thanks. Will check with Lens Rentals and some other places.

John

Sigma 150~600C is a great lens.

I have one as well, with the TC-1401 1.4x teleconverter.  You can buy the lens new from Sigma under 1K.  They also have great sales in their outlet store (refurbs) from time to time (just like Canon).  ...  why chance eBay, thats like gambling.

Canon does have a "system" and its always best to use Canon glass, but several of my lenses are Sigma and I have never regretted this decision.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Having owned, at one time or other, all the 150-600mm super zooms, here is how I rate them.

Best ... Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens <---- this is my keeper 150-600mm

2. Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 <---- note this is the G2 not the one you looked at on eBay.

3. Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens <---- normally called the C lens.

4. Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens <---- definitely not as good as the Sigma C.

Now you may have to get to the pixel peeping level to really see a difference worth mentioning as real world use is pretty good with any of these but if you are going this route you may as well get the best.  At this time for the average shooter it is the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. I don't recommend the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for the amateur or even enthusiast photographer unless you are well aware of its weight and extreme build quality.

The top three are user upgradeable.  There is another offering that I have not personally owned or used but from what I am told it is very good too.  It is the Sigma 60-600mm f4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports lens.  Perhaps it is the best super zoom there is but at my point in life I doubt I buy one.  Ya never know though. Warning it is a very heavy lens, too. All the others are plastic and reasonably light, comparatively speaking.

For the beginning photographer all these lenses will require a learning curve to get the best results.  Probably not a lens you are going to slap on and run with it. Do your do diligence and anybody can learn to use them with outstanding results.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

IMHO, the reason Tamron came out with the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 is, it was very much inferior to the  Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens.  The Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens is not user upgradable.

EB

If I were given the choice of either the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens for $350-$400 or the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens (not G2) at $800 or a grand, I would take the Siggy al day long. Now that my two cents and worth every penny.

EB

Lots of great information. I'm appreciative of the group taking time to share their experience and opinions. Good news is that I found some $$$ that I forgot I had. Is that possible? Senior moment? Will look into the prices on the new lenses or refurbished lenses. Thanks!!!!

Edit- I'm looking at using the lense for birds and wildlife. Somewhere I read that an auto focus is best. By the time you get focused, the photo opportunity is gone. Are these lenses listed auto focus?

John

They are all Autofocus.

"Are these lenses listed auto focus?"

Not trying to be rude but I get the impression you need to bone up on photography stuff before you buy a lens like this. These lenses are big and while not prohibitively heavy they have some weight to deal with.  They require fast SS and some thought on how to shoot with them. Perhaps a local camera store or a friend will let you try one.

I guess there isn't any better way than just jumping in the deep end and learning! Lot's of people do it, some are successful. 

Good luck and go for it.

EB
Announcements