cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking photo in early morning sport

S123FS
Apprentice

Hi, 

I been trying to take photos of Triathlons and cycling races, it usually starts around 6:30am or 7am, so there's not a lot of light so I'm looking for a lense that will help me with shooting fast moving objects and have good light as well as definition and sharpness in the image.

I've heard of some like:'

• 50mm (EF 50mm, f/ 1.8)
  • 24mm
  • 24-105mm
  • 70-200mm

Some of them are extremaly expensive and I don't want to buy anything it won't work for my needs.

Anyone?

Help! 

Thank you,

Sofia 

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@S123FS wrote:

Hi, 

I been trying to take photos of Triathlons and cycling races, it usually starts around 6:30am or 7am, so there's not a lot of light so I'm looking for a lense that will help me with shooting fast moving objects and have good light as well as definition and sharpness in the image.

I've heard of some like:'

• 50mm (EF 50mm, f/ 1.8)
  • 24mm
  • 24-105mm
  • 70-200mm

Some of them are extremaly expensive and I don't want to buy anything it won't work for my needs.

Anyone?

Help! 

Thank you,

Sofia 

How close to the action will you be?  That will determine which focal length to use. 

What camera body are you using?  This will help determine which lenses to rule out.

If there is such a thing as an "all-purpose sports lens", then 70-200mm lenses are probably that ideal.  The top-of-the-line EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM is not only fast, but amazingly sharp. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

^^ This

The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II lens.  Everyone serious Canon photographer either already owns it... or they want it.

Here's a shot taken with my 5D III using the original 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (mk I... not the Mk II).

VO3A3602.jpg

I'm using my iPad to reply and I don't have an EXIF view... but I'm going to guess this is somewhere around 150mm focal length.  

I do now own the Mk II version of the lens, and it is a slightly better lens.  There was an improvement in its ability to resolve fine details but also an improvement in it's image stabilization over the original Mk I.

This shot was in shade... I have similar shots taken on cloudy days (I usually just bump up the "warmth" slightly so it looks less "cold").  I actually prefer shooting in overcast or shade to full sun because I don't get harsh shadows.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Sofia,

I will add to the above comments about the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.  It is not only a good lens.  It is the best lens made in this class.  If it doesn't work for you, than nothing else will either.  I have owned 6 or 7 of these in various models and I can say the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is amazing.  You either have it or you want it.

One thing I would avoid is a fixed focal length or prime lens.  Much more difficult to use and a pretty limited use lens.

If the price of the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is a bridge too far price wise there is a second place winner.

It is the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Zoom Lens for Canon.  Nearly as good IQ. Nearly as fast AF. Not as well built but fine for an amateur photographer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements