cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i with 18-135mm lens

johnfrer
Apprentice

Hi Everyone,

I want to buy the t6i but I want to know if the 18-135 is a much better lens than the 18-55mm?

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Generally speaking, I would say that a EF-S 18-135 is a better lens than a EF-S 18-55. 

However, there are at least two versions of a Canon zoom lens with those focal length ranges.  So, exactly which lens models are you comparing?  And, what exactly is your concept of "better" lens?  Image Quality?  Auto-Focusing Speed?  Quiet AF Operation?  Image Stabilization Performance?  Bang for the Buck?  Video Shooting Performance?  Bling Value?

The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens, that comes with many kit cameras is most definitely inferior to the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens.  The longer zoom has faster, quieter focusing, a wider zoom range, and better image quality.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for the quick response. I figure that I am spending more for a camera than I ever have so I should spend the extra to get that better lens now. I do want all those things you mentioned for a reasonable price so this could be pretty close.

I like my 18-135 with my T6S. I espicially like the extra reach. The only problem is that it is much larger than the 18-55.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I like my 18-135 with my T6S. I espicially like the extra reach. The only problem is that it is much larger than the 18-55.

Why is the size of the lens a problem?  Do you mean physical size, weight, or a combination of both?  My biggest complaint with that lens was with lens creep.  Most every "L" lens is larger and heavier than the 18-135mm lenses.

BTW, I liked the zoom range of the 18-135mm lens on a crop sensor, too.  But, I would have gladly traded focal length at the long end, for being just a bit wider at the short end.  A 35mm equivalent range close to 24-105mm would have been ideal, IMHO.

Physical size. The 18-55 is downright tiny. My 15-85 is a pretty good size. I feel the 18-135 is a bit too long for carrying around - though it weighs about as much as the 15-85. I think I just need to get used to it.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Physical size. The 18-55 is downright tiny. My 15-85 is a pretty good size. I feel the 18-135 is a bit too long for carrying around - though it weighs about as much as the 15-85. I think I just need to get used to it.

I guess "a bit too long for carrying around" would really depend upon where you are carrying it, and whether or not you are traveling solo, or have someone with you. 

The EF-S 18-135s great lenses for hiking through the woods, but nowhere near wide enough at the short end for an urban setting like NYC.   For a place like NYC, I'd suggest something ultra-wide, like around 10-12mm on an APS-C body.

@johnfrer wrote:

Thank you for the quick response. I figure that I am spending more for a camera than I ever have so I should spend the extra to get that better lens now. I do want all those things you mentioned for a reasonable price so this could be pretty close.

Smart idea.  Don't compromise when it comes to lens purchases.  And, don't rush into a purchase.  It's tempting, I know.

Canon's "L" Series of lenses are the very best lenses that they make.  Whiile the EF 18-135mm lenses are pretty good, there are a couple of Canon "L" lenses that are similarly priced..  The EF 70-200mm f/4L USM sells for nearly the identical list price as the 18-135 USM.  I recommend this one, if you do not have a telephoto zoom.  Notice that this version of the 70-200mm does not offer Image Stabilization.

If you shop around, you can find the EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, which has far superior image quality to an 18-55mm kit lens, but no image stabilization.  Or, you can even find my favorite walk around lens for a Full Frame sensor body, the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, deeply discounted, which does have Image Stabilization.  Your camera is an APS-C sensor body, so your effective focal lengths will be slightly longer, by a factor of 1.6 to be exact.

[HINT]  Check out the Canon Online Refurbished Store.  The refurbished lenses come with full warranties, just like gear sold at regular list prices.  Unless you are a professional photgrapher, shooting hundreds and hundreds of pictures every week, who needs a "new" lens because of the extended warranty offers, the refurbished lenses are great deals for the average photo enthusiast.  You're not going to wear it out, like a pro would.  The gear can come from a variety of sources, such as trade-ins, overstock, unclaimed repairs, retail store closures, etc.  I've bought a number of lenses, and they have all performed without any issues.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Hi Everyone,

I want to buy the t6i but I want to know if the 18-135 is a much better lens than the 18-55mm?"

Hi John,

I am going to suggest a much better albeit more expensive alternative.  Don't get any lens with the T6i.  Instead buy the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  It has some much more going for it, it will really bring out the best the T6i can offer.  Maybe Canon has a kit with this lens in it, you can check.  If so it is the one to get.

One big advantage is the "constant" f2.8 aperture. Otherwise if you must buy the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens. But, keep in mind, the f5.6 penalty will be more difficult to live with day in and day out. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Hi Everyone,

I want to buy the t6i but I want to know if the 18-135 is a much better lens than the 18-55mm?"

Hi John,

I am going to suggest a much better albeit more expensive alternative.  Don't get any lens with the T6i.  Instead buy the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  It has some much more going for it, it will really bring out the best the T6i can offer.  Maybe Canon has a kit with this lens in it, you can check.  If so it is the one to get.

One big advantage is the "constant" f2.8 aperture. Otherwise if you must buy the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens. But, keep in mind, the f5.6 penalty will be more difficult to live with day in and day out. 

Good idea.  Buying the body without a kit lens is a great idea.  The 18-55mm kit lens will be a disappointment a couple of weeks, or months, after you start using it.  The 18-135mm lenses, included in Canon T6i kits, are pretty decent lenses.  But, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens is probably the best of the three lenses.

Announcements