cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i Lenses

meganr77
Apprentice

I am new to DSLR cameras, however, I was given one as a gift for Christmas.  I love this camera, the pictures are beautiful and the color is amazing.  I would like to purchase a telephoto lens to better capture my children during their athletic events (soccer, swimming, etc.).  I am so overwhelmed by the various options and prices I am not sure where to even begin.  I would like to take a class this summer to better understand all of the manual settings but won't be able to do that until summer time.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.  I would like to stay under 500.  

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

trulandphoto
Enthusiast

@meganr77 wrote:

I am new to DSLR cameras, however, I was given one as a gift for Christmas.  I love this camera, the pictures are beautiful and the color is amazing.  I would like to purchase a telephoto lens to better capture my children during their athletic events (soccer, swimming, etc.).  I am so overwhelmed by the various options and prices I am not sure where to even begin.  I would like to take a class this summer to better understand all of the manual settings but won't be able to do that until summer time.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.  I would like to stay under 500.  

Thanks!

I assume you have an 18-55mm lens. You could consider the newer 55-250mm STM lens which, while a bit slow for sports, is a big improvement over its predecessor. 

They are inexpensive and you could always upgrade later on.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Which lens you need depends on if the only source of available light is electric lighting.  If you are shooitng outdoors in daytime (sunlight) then there are a LOT of options.  If you are shooting indoors or outdoors during night time, then many lenses don't gather enough light to use shutter speeds which are fast enough to "freeze" action unless you crank the ISO so high that you are unhappy with the noise.

Good lenses for sports can be extremely expensive.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ScottyP
Authority
This is just a couple hundred over your preference but it is Canon "L" glass and it will give extremely sharp results.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Cameras/N/0/Ntt/CA702004LEF

You can definitely get cheaper glass but this would produce better results. Also, when zoomed in, this lens will let more light in than lower cost lenses like 55-250.

Good luck.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements