cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i Front Focus with 50mm Lens

JamesJoseph
Apprentice

Hello all. I have a T4i. Great overall camera. Seems to have a focusing problem with my "nifty 50" lens. Sometimes it locks on correctly, but usually  it front focuses. I'm using the center only focus point and not focus and recomposing. Any one else have similar issues with this lens and or body?

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority
Hi James.

It is hard to get focus right if you are pretty wide open, like between f/1.8 and f/2.8. How wide are you when having trouble?

If you are shooting a person, you need to pick the eye closest to camera and put the reticle over that eye. If you are shooting 2 or more people you need to shoot stopped down to get a wider depth of field, or else you won't get everyone in focus.

Why not do a simple test, though? Set a cardboard box on a flat surface and poke a pencil into the side of it, near the front. Then lean a ruler onto the pencil, touching the box, so the bottom of the ruler is ahead of the box, and its top is behind the front of the box. Set the aperture wide open to f/1.8 to get the narrowest DOF. Shine a couple of lights onto the box and ruler because you need a lot of light. Focus on the front of the box, but close to where the ruler is. Shoot straight at the front of the box, not at an angle, and not above or below the box. Shoot at short, medium and long distance, and Take multiple shots at each distance. Using tripod or resting camera on something helps. If the box does not have writing on it near the ruler scribble on it or tape newspaper tight onto it so the camera has detail on which it can lock focus.

Look at the ruler in the picture, blown up for detail. Where on the ruler are the hash marks in focus? If it is in front or behind the box, you are front focusing or back focusing.

Unfortunately Rebels do not have autofocus micro adjustment, or you could just set the camera to compensate. You could send camera and lens in to Canon to have them calibrate if it is worth it.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply and testing idea. I did forget to mention that my concern is front focusing at wide open apertures. I have performed similar tests to what you describe using a yard stick and indeed it does frequently, but not always, focus forward of the actual location at which I had aimed the center focus point. 

The lens is out of warranty, so I don't know if it would be worth it to have Canon calibrate it. I actually just noticed it because I'm having the same issue with my new 85mm f/1.8. I am sending it in for re-cal since it's under warranty now. I had always just assumed the 50mm was soft at 1.8, sharp wider open. Now I see its not just softer at 1.8 - it's actualy not focusing exactly correct. 

So, anyone know how much Canon may charge to recal a nifty-fifty? Is it worth it?

JamesJoseph,

I am unable to provide an estimate on the behalf of the Factory Service Center, as they can vary.  However, they will provide you with one prior to working on the lens if you send it to them.  You can either approve or decline repair at that point.  If you decline, they will ship the lens back to you free-of-charge.

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Good to know. Thanks.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements