cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supporting weight of Canon 500mm f4 IS II in the field for handheld shooting

madencbm
Contributor

I use the Canon 500mm f4 IS II handheld and often walk several miles at a time.  I always carry a daypack and have tried various way of  utilizing the support of the pack to evenly transmit the weight across both shoulders.  Nothing seems totally satisfactory.

Anybody have a solution?.  Anybody tried a lens this large with the SpiderPro Camera Holster?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

diverhank
Authority

Walking for miles with the 500mm f/4 ready to shoot...wow...It's been done before but mostly I've seen people either cradle it like a baby or put it over their shoulder and walk away with it.

There are several carrying systems available like Cotton Carrier and Peak Design that can easily handle the weight but not the bulk.  If you're willing to carry it without the hood, I think these will be viable.  Without the hood, I think the SpiderPro holster might work too.  I use a Peak Design camera holder system that bolts to the front strap of my backpack but the largest setup I've used with it was a 7DII with a Tamron 150-600mm lens.  I can walk hand free with it and it is ready for quick release.  Many people successfully carry the 500mm f/4 II on their Black Rapid strap + quick release arca plate mounted to the lens tripod mount.

I do carry my 600mm f/4L and tripod for mile-long walks but it's not at the ready.  I use a Tamrac long lens bag to carry the camera and lens and carry my tripod using an Optech tripod sling.  It's really simple to carry the setup (much like carrying a 20-lb backpack) and I can go for miles without breaking a sweat.  I do need several minutes to set up before I can shoot, however.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The problem with SpiderPro Camera Holster or any of the other camera straps like that is they bounce off your legs.  Every step!  I gave up on them but I do use a Black Rapid for lenses not quite that big a lot of the time.

I have put a monopod on and just throw the heavy teles over my shoulder.  You can put some of that spongy feeling pipe insulation and gaffers tape to make a fairly comfortable rig.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@madencbm wrote:

I use the Canon 500mm f4 IS II handheld and often walk several miles at a time.  I always carry a daypack and have tried various way of  utilizing the support of the pack to evenly transmit the weight across both shoulders.  Nothing seems totally satisfactory.

Anybody have a solution?.  Anybody tried a lens this large with the SpiderPro Camera Holster?

Thanks.

You might give the OP/TECH USA Dual Harness at try, it is actually designed to carry 2 cameras, but, the OP/TECH USA system has so many components available you can configure it for just about any use. With one side hooked to the lens attachments and the other to the camera, I suspect you could use this to have the camera and lens fall pretty much horizontal in front of you at your belt line while walking, and be able to lift it to your eye to shoot with no problems. 

Announcements