cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super wide Zoom and Super telephoto Zoom for 6D without vignette effect

Vatsala
Contributor

I have a Canon 6D Full frame camera. And I just bought the 24- 70 L II USM lens. 

To complete my kit, I'm looking to invest a super wide zoom ( as low as 10 going uptil 22/ 24 mm) and super telephoto above 70 mm going uptil 300 mm (both preferably L series USM, with wide openings along the full focal range) 

Before I make the purchases I want to be sure which lenses do NOT have the problem of vignetting AT ALL. 

I am okay with barell distorition on the wide. But vignetting is something I want to totally avoid. 

All you experienced folks out there, please guide me. Would also appreciate any links to lists that enumerate the same. 

Alternatively I am also open to using prime lenses, but they are really low on my preference. 

Appreciate your time and response. 

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

You'll need to look to Sigma for a zoom that wide but it's 12-24 and not super fast. For the 70-300 Canon makes a very nice L which gets good reviews but I don't know if it has any vignetting on the wide end.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I want to be sure which lenses do NOT have the problem of vignetting AT ALL"

Not trying to change your mind but you do know this is an east fix in PS or LR5?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Skirball
Authority

@Vatsala wrote:

I am okay with barell distorition on the wide. But vignetting is something I want to totally avoid. 

For discussion sake: Just about all lenses have a bit of vignetting, especially when going wide.  Most of the time you can't really tell unless you have a big bright colored section (such as the sky).  But it can be cleaned up in post without any noticable artifacts, and programs light LR will do it on import if you wish.     You're not going to be able to get near 10 mm on a FF without some level of dimming.

In most software that allows you to add in some vignetting, you can also subtract it.  

Some apps have lens profiles so they know how much vignetting occurs with that specific lens and at various focal lengths.

But you can also do this manually.  In astro imaging we calls these images "flats".  The purpose of a "flat" is to determine how much vignetting there is in an image so that we can correctly adjust for it using a program like Photoshop.  

To create a "flat" you would cover the lens with a piece of white translucent fabric.  Put some light on the fabric so that the fabric itself is evenly lit.  This means the view through the camera is basically just an all-white field with no contrast or features.   Then take a photo (it doesn't matter that the camera cannot focus on the fabric.)

What you'll get is an all-white image typically brighter in center and dimmer toward the edges but the image can be used to measure the lens' specific vignetting (and in the case of a zoom that level of vignetting would vary by focal length.)  The image can be used as a reference image with software to completely eliminate vignetting.

A photographer would normally not go to such extremes to get a perfectly flat field (lighting wise), but astro-imagers have to do this as a matter of routine.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi Tim

Thanks for your elaborate response. Good to know about the detail with the astro photography context. 

Can you talk a little about the apps for lens profiles? Is there any free/ inexpensive download available? 

Appreciate the help, 

Vatsala

cuda719
Enthusiast

I was having trouble deciding the same thing so I rented the 16-35 L II and the 8-15mm L Fish eye. I chose the fish eye yes there is plenty of distortion due to it being a fish eye but that effect can be toned down in software. As far as the Super telephoto I agree the 70-300L pictures are great I just wished I never waited so long to purchase them.

Announcements