cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly developed horrible vignetting on 24-70 f2.8L II on my new 6D II.

Mansoor013
Apprentice

So I recently (maybe 6 months ago) bought the hardware mentioned in the title.

I was playing around with my 6D II and decided to try my crop lens on it, the Sigma f18 18-35... just to see how it looked. Wide open, that lens has obvious vignetting so that the actual image is a circle in the middle. That's to be expected since that is an EF-S lens.

However, since then I have had a similar effect on my canon 28-70. At its widest, there is horrible vignetting at the top left and bottom right of the image. 

Here is what it looks like:

https://imgur.com/a/NaMLr

Anyone else have something similar happen?

Do you know what I can do about it? Should I try to go through the warranty?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Actually, check your lens hood. It looks like it isn't screwed on all the way, so the long petals aren't perfectly on top and bottom, and they are showing up in the photo. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I cannot visit your link because I am blocked.  

I will assume you have vignetting at 24mm f/2.8.  What happens with a different lens?  What happens when you apply lens correction?  What happens at narrower apertures?

Mounting the APS-C lens on the 6D may have been unwise, because there a distance differences involved.  The EF-S mount extends deeper into the camera body, but because of the smaller sensor and mirror in an APS-C body, this is normally not an issue.  It can be a major problem for full frame camera bodies, however, which have a larger mirror that needs more room.

I don’t think you camera was damaged.  I would try different lenses, narrower apertures, and apply lens correction, to see if doing any of that makes a difference.  If in doubt, sent the camera to Canon, so that they can check it.  Do not expect a quick turn around during the upcoming holiday breaks.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Don't tell Canon you jammed an EF-s lens onto your full frame camera or they might say you broke it and that's outside the warranty. 

Do you have any more EF lenses you can try on the camera?  You need to see if it is the fault of the camera or just of the lens.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Actually, check your lens hood. It looks like it isn't screwed on all the way, so the long petals aren't perfectly on top and bottom, and they are showing up in the photo. 

Scott

Wow you are a genius.

I don't recall messing with the lens hood but it could have been dislodged accidentally.

Pictures look just fine now.

Haha that's embarassing.

Mansoor013 wrote:

Wow you are a genius.

I don't recall messing with the lens hood but it could have been dislodged accidentally.

Haha that's embarassing.

The hood for the 24-70 has a locking mechanism that keeps it properly positioned (and a button to release it). When you install the hood, make sure you hear or feel the click that tells you it's locked in place.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@Mansoor013 wrote:

Wow you are a genius.

Haha that's embarassing.

No need to be embarrassed...We have all been there, done that... 🙂

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements