cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Zoom Wide Lens for 5d Mark iii?

freemaa5
Contributor

I recently upgraded from a 50d camera to a 5d mark iii, and now the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens that I loved is not compatible. I need to find a lens that is kind of comparable to the Tamrom 17-50 in that it has a wide view and is versatile for shooting weddings, etc. However, with just having spent a decent amount on the camera, I am trying to keep a tight budget. I don't mind buying used, etc but I would love some suggestions/recommendations on what lens would be good to replace my Tamron with? Would f/4 still perform as well as my f/2.8 did? How important is image stabilizer? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I'm not a wedding photographer either. But I have shot a fair number of wedding-like events, the main difference being that I was often able to dictate the ambient lighting, while a wedding photographer usually can't. If I had to go with just one lens, I believe I'd choose the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. It's a stop slower than the 24-70, but it gives you some extra reach that you're almost sure to need. I've used the 24-105 on a 5D3 for evening events indoors at ISO 2000 (even when I couldn't control the light) with little or no discernible noise, so it can be a practical choice.

Realistically, I think most event photographers (including me) use two cameras, often with a 24-70 and a 70-200, because we think we need that much reach and don't have time to change lenses on the fly. But if that isn't possible, the 24-105 can feasibly be made to do the job.

Yes, the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is the standard kit zoom.  For indoor shooting, I would rather have the extra stop than the extra reach.  I can always crop a photo slightly to make up for the extra reach in 24-105 compared to 24-70.  But, I am more limited making up for the one stop difference in aperture.

Certainly a valid point.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert do you remember when we used to say the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens (version 1 however) was the best buy in a "L" lens?  I guess it still is but one reason verson 1 was such a good deal was price.  I don't see than price advantage anymore.  Maybe it is still out there?  Anyway i used a couple of them (version 1) for years shooting weddings.  Mostly on the second or third shooters cameras though.

If you go into a wedding shoot with just a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens you are not going to get great wedding shots. Period.  So, to say you would select it over another single lens is folly.  You need what you need.

For instance my last wedding I used two shooters, three cameras and lenses from 16mm to 300mm. All f2.8 constant aperture, I might add.

Some people use an iphone and they think it is good! Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Robert do you remember when we used to say the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens (version 1 however) was the best buy in a "L" lens?  I guess it still is but one reason verson 1 was such a good deal was price.  I don't see than price advantage anymore.  Maybe it is still out there?  Anyway i used a couple of them (version 1) for years shooting weddings.  Mostly on the second or third shooters cameras though.

If you go into a wedding shoot with just a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens you are not going to get great wedding shots. Period.  So, to say you would select it over another single lens is folly.  You need what you need.

For instance my last wedding I used two shooters, three cameras and lenses from 16mm to 300mm. All f2.8 constant aperture, I might add.

Some people use an iphone and they think it is good! Smiley Sad

I wasn't comparing the 24-105 to another single lens, but rather to a two-lens pair that might exceed the OP's self-described tight budget and might be more cumbersome to use.

I too don't see a price advantage to the 24-105 f/4L, relative to the Mark II version, and I don't quite know what to make of it. It must mean either that the Mark II is a real bargain or that it isn't as much better as its original hype suggested. I tend to suspect the latter, because the last time I looked, the price of the Mark I had stayed about the same, while that of the Mark II seemed to have fallen dramatically. The Mark II is bigger and heavier; so if it isn't significantly better, why would anyone prefer it?

Bob

".. if it isn't significantly better, why would anyone prefer it?"

Ah, because they don't make the first version any longer.

It was possible to get the original for around $500-600 bucks.  At that price or even near it it was a no brainer.  That's why I had two of them.

The new crop of f2.8L lense are so vastly superior. I have abandoned all but the trio I listed above ... somewhere.  I wish I had them all along. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

".. if it isn't significantly better, why would anyone prefer it?"

Ah, because they don't make the first version any longer.

It was possible to get the original for around $500-600 bucks.  At that price or even near it it was a no brainer.  That's why I had two of them.

The new crop of f2.8L lense are so vastly superior. I have abandoned all but the trio I listed above ... somewhere.  I wish I had them all along. Smiley Happy

It's all a matter of whether the glass is half empty or half full, Ernie. Sure we wish that today's equipment had been available 50 years ago, but at least we two old geezers have lived to see it. Consider the plight of, say, Ansel Adams. He missed the digital age entirely (unless you consider late Polaroids to be a precursor), and one can only imagine how he would have loved Photoshop.

Bob

Amen, brotha.

EB

“If you go into a wedding shoot with just a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens you are not going to get great wedding shots.”

I would not knock the lens quite that hard, but today’s higher resolution sensors seem able to more readily reveal its’ limits.  Also, Canon’s newer DSLR focusing sensors seem to be more accurate when used with f/2.8 lenses, or faster.  Although, I suspect that the firmware probably makes an exception for the 24-105 f/4L lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

freemaa5
Contributor
Thank you!

freemaa5
Contributor
Thank you everyone! I think I’ve decided to go ahead and invest in the 24-70.
Announcements