cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacking 2.0 & 1.4 Teleconvertor with 12mm ext tube

LarryS1
Apprentice

I have an EOS7dii, with my 100-400mm canon lens I attached a 2.0 tc with a 12mm lens tube to a 1.4 tc.  The first time, no problem, second time lens doesn't seem to focus at in manual focus.  The lens & teleconvertors are all Canon gear.

Any suggestions?

18 REPLIES 18

"Quite so.

IMHO, the use of any tel-con or x-tube is a bandaide fix for a problem that requires the proper lens alone.

I don't althgether afree. My 70-200mm f/2.8 tolerates the 1.4x III quite well, I think."

Perhaps acceptable, I freely admit.  One of the very few lens combos I agree do work well with the 1.4x tel-con is the ef 70-200mm f2.8L.

Two things, though, the ef 70-200mm f2.8L has a lot of IQ it can afford to loose.  Second did you take the same shot with, say, the ef 300mm f4L prime lens to compare?  No, I didn't think so!

A tel-con may be the answer but it is never the best answer, IMHO, of course, as always. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Quite so.

IMHO, the use of any tel-con or x-tube is a bandaide fix for a problem that requires the proper lens alone.

I don't althgether afree. My 70-200mm f/2.8 tolerates the 1.4x III quite well, I think."

Perhaps acceptable, I freely admit.  One of the very few lens combos I agree do work well with the 1.4x tel-con is the ef 70-200mm f2.8L.

Two things, though, the ef 70-200mm f2.8L has a lot of IQ it can afford to loose.  Second did you take the same shot with, say, the ef 300mm f4L prime lens to compare?  No, I didn't think so!

A tel-con may be the answer but it is never the best answer, IMHO, of course, as always. Smiley Happy

Well, you knew the answer to that question, Ernie, because you know that I agree with your oft-stated opinion that modern zooms have relegated the prime lens to niche product status.  Smiley Wink

Our household contains, IIRC, two prime lenses: my wife's EF-S 60mm macro (which she likes a lot) and a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 that I bought as a low-light lens for my XTi thirteen years ago and have almost never used.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"... modern zooms have relegated the prime lens to niche product status."

Absolutely!  There are very good zooms out there now.  However, there are great zooms out there, too.  Canon's 70-200mm f2.8L series has proven that over and over. 

I have the 1.4x tel-con. I have used it perhaps a dozen times.  Maybe because I have two wonderful alternatives. One being the excellent, in its own right, ef 300mm f4L IS.

EB

Some raw files to play around with. x1.4II+x2III vs x2III.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SwItmSZG9Wu4J1a1EYQ8_rA5SsGrGh7W/view?usp=sharing

I tried it again, it worked.  I believe your comment about light had something to do with it.

Quality wasn't as good as I'm sure a 500mm or 600 mm with a 2x tc, but detail wasn't as bad as I expected.

Thanks again Peter, I appreciate your input.

"Quality wasn't as good ..."

It all has to do with what you call "quality".  That elusive word has different meanings to everybody.

EB

"Some raw files to play around with. x1.4II+x2III vs x2III."

Your files are too large. Nobody is going to d/l such large files.  Not me anyway!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Some raw files to play around with. x1.4II+x2III vs x2III."

Your files are too large. Nobody is going to d/l such large files.  Not me anyway!

You still pay for each MB you use or don't have 406 MB of free space?

Yeah they are too big to glance at. A simple jpg would suffice for your claims.

EB
Announcements