cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sports Lens for Rebel XS

traci0326
Apprentice

I have a Rebel XS that came with an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm lenses. My husband bought me the kit a few years ago and now that the kids are older and playing sports I have started to use it more.  I want to know what is a good lens to take sports pictures so that I don't have to constantly switch the lenses. An example is my son is playing basketball right now and I usually use the 18-55mm but would like the ability to zoom further. The 75-300mm is too close when he's on the court. I am looking for a happy in between--I am not very knowledgable about changing settings on the camera or other lenses that I could possible use. I also don't want to spend a fortune so I would be willing to consider other brands to purchase. Someone mentioned to me the Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM lens but that's kind of expensive. I've read that Tamron or Sigma are good less expensive brands?!? Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Traci

1 REPLY 1

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The EF 24-105mm f4 L IS can be had brand new and/or used for around $600 to $750.  It is the best buy in a real Canon "L" lens.  But if that price point is out of reason, there isn't really any other good choices.  At least in the new market.  You can buy used but make sure you know what you are getting.

I think the EF 24-105mm f4 L IS, is a little short but it may work OK for you.  A better choice, IMHO, is the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8.  It has been discontinued but you can still find them and there is the used market there too.  Otherwise the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, very closely the same lens, and is an outstanding choice.  They are almost half what the best in class Canon EF 70-20mm f2.8 is but still pretty expensive.

The f2.8 is really going to help indoor sports way better than what you have.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements