cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small question about RF 35+85 STM lenses

vadimverenitsyn
Apprentice

Friends, recently I was in a store and wanted to buy R5 + RF STM 35 mm and 85 mm (both lenses have stabilization and macro mode, you know). What surprised me was the speed of focusing in video mode! Everything is terribly slow! In photo mode everything is fine, but as soon as I turn on the video mode, the lenses don't have time to focus on my wife's eyes, for example. And I so wanted to shoot a blog about children and our dog. Very very very slow, on any settings!

After reading the forums and reviews, I realized that Canon specifically slows down the STM motor so that the sound does not spoil when recording in video mode. But I don't need to record audio, I use a directional microphone or recorder. 

Question! How do I get these two lenses, which are great in their characteristics, to focus faster, in both the two photo and video modes equally? I tried all the settings I could find. Nothing helps! Do you also have these two lenses focus slowly in video mode? Or did I miss something? With 50 /1.2 and 24-105 /4 video mode works fine.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Delarageaz
Apprentice

Yes ! I just bought this lens specifically to record videos with my nice R5 C, with it's IS the RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro really seemed to be the perfect lens for me, but in the end it focuses so slow, just does not stick to my eye, making me regret so much the decision of purchasing it 😞

Announcements