cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma lens, is it worth it?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I lost a bid on a 150-500 a while back but found this. I have a Canon EOS Rebel T7. Looking at the photos, the mount with the red mark matches my present lenses. I'm looking to take sports, wildlife and bird photos. What is your opinion? Always thanks for your replies from a rank amateur.

1.JPG

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines.  Added screenshot from link destination to facilitate discussion]

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Me personally.  I would never recommend someone purchase used camera equipment from eBay.  Too much risk in my opinion.  

Would I buy that lens, not a chance.  I understand budget is a consideration, so I'm not the best person to advice as I don't like used or "old' camera equipment. I am however 100% ok with refurbished as long as it was done by the manufacturer, and not a 3rd party. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks. I did note a 100% satisfaction note and 30 return with buyer paying return shipping. I would put it through its paces in just a few days to give it a good workout. I'll see what the cards say.

John

Just heard from the seller. I inquired about the conditon of the lens and lens body. It is described as Exc+++ which seems to be what I'm looking for. Seller reviews were noted earlier. Will toss the bones to see what to do here.

John

IMHO, I would not buy that lens. It is a nearly 20 year old design and full of aberrations. Keep in mind you get what you pay for and $200 dollar lenses are just that. A $200 dollar lens. However, if it floats your boat go for it. Nothing like experience to teach you a good lesson.

I don't have a big problem with eBay if you are careful and get the eBay guarantee.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ebay can be fine IF you are careful.  Check not only seller feedback but also what products the seller has been selling.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good lens from a seller who has positive feedback over a history of selling camera products but if it was a lens from an antique mall or storage diver who had never sold a lens before I wouldn't chance it even with a good feedback profile.  If you buy one, give it heavy use in a wide variety of situations as soon as you get it so you don't find out too late that there is an AF failure under certain conditions, a lens coating that has been wiped off so that now you have a huge flare issue under backlighting, or other problems which aren't apparent in a quick test of the lens.

Ernie knows more about that particular lens than I and I would listen carefully to his assessment.  If it is an older Sigma design that wasn't that great even when it was new, then avoid it.  Better to buy one decent piece of glass and be done with it than purchase several inferior pieces before finally deciding that lower quality glass isn't going to work for what you need. 

Sigma makes some really nice stuff now and I prefer their 50 f1.4 to Canon's offering.  But historically they made a lot of stuff that wasn't so great so use caution when looking at older Sigma designs.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I would have to agree with the other user here (never buy) from ebay unless their rating is above 99,8% or higher plus you never know what your going to get and its their word against yours? but the choice is yours I have read great things on these but you are going to be losing a few things in your photos unless you want to spend the 12 grand for a better one.

20 years old? Should be on an antique site. Going to pass as I have some magazine assignments that will put a few shekels in the bank. Maybe can buy something more current and decent quaity. Thanks for the replies.

John
Announcements