cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 70-300mm lens problems

AWOLGypsy
Apprentice

I have a Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 Macro Super lens with a gold ring for my Canon T5 but I recieve an Err 01 msg telling me "Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts." This message is received on every setting including Manual. I have cleaned the contacts on both the lens and camera but still get the same message. How can this issue be rectified?

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you only get the message with the Sigma lens, then I suggest you contact Sigma.  Your camera would be fine.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Is it my imagination, or has there been a recent uptick in complaints about Sigma compatibility? Several years ago Sigma had a pretty bad reputation in both quality and compatibility. But I very rarely heard of cases where somebody corroborated the rumor mill and reported an actual problem. I had several Sigma lenses, and all performed as expected.

Since that time, Sigma's reputation for quality seems to have improved considerably, but lately there have been several reports in this forum of people having compatibility issues. Is this a fluke or illusion, or does Sigma have a problem in that regard?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Do you have the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS Lens?  Name exactly as I typed it?  There have been several similar named Sigmas.  This one is a discontinued lens before the T5 and T5i came out.  I doubt it will ever work properly on your camera.  If you got it to work at all, you are lucky.  You might call SIgma and see if they can re-chip it for the T5.

Cleaning the contacts will not help. The Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS Lens is considered an upgrade over the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. But I would prefer the Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements