cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 50-500mm OS

Elf_f_f
Apprentice

So, I see that the Sigma 150-500mm OS is considered a decent budget lens, the Sigma 150-600mm OS C is a lens to be proud of and the S model is pretty much an L series and the Canon 100-400mmL IS II is the best lens, with a shorter range. But In the recent threads on telephotos I don't see any mention of the Sigma 50-500mm OS. Where does it fall In your opinion?
It appeals to me for the 50mm on a telephoto, but because it is so wide with such a range does it have the same problems that a lot of super zooms do?

2 REPLIES 2

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

And all super zooms have the same problem, the larger the zoom range, the more compromises that have to be made to achieve that zoom range.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Where does it fall In your opinion?"

The Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens would be in last place.  I think it is to be discontinued shortly.  Especially since there is a large price drop on it right now.

Mr. Martin is correct saying the larger the zoom range, the more difficulities in getting everything to work well together.  And a 10 to 1 range is pretty big.

The bottom line in this debate is do you need 600mm?  If you do get the Sigma "C" or "S".  If you don't get the EF 100-400mm Mk II.  The choice is simple!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements