Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Sigma 50-150 mm F2.8 on EOS R?

Hi. Has anyone tried pairing the sigma 50-150 2.8 with the EOS R? I’m in the market to get a zoom and considering the 70-200 F2.8L IS but also comparing alternatives.

At first I was just looking at the full frame line up but then realise that the EOS R can also use EF-s lenses via its converter. So this opens up my options to both EF and EF-s lenses.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has tried this combination or other combinations with roughly the same focal lengths.

Thank you in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sigma 50-150 mm F2.8 on EOS R?

I don't think I'd go down that path if I were you. What's the point of having an R if you don't use it as a FF camera? You'd have more usable pixels with an 80D or a 7D2. If you already have an R and the Sigma lens, there's no reason not to give the combination a try. But I wouldn't buy either the camera or the lens as a match for the other.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
VIP

[ Edited ]

"Has anyone tried pairing the sigma 50-150 2.8 with the EOS R?"

No. There is good reason not to. It isn't a very good idea.  Go for the ef 70-200mm f2.8L instead or the very much lesser Sigma version 70-200mm.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
VIP

@jaisonmorgan wrote:

Hi. Has anyone tried pairing the sigma 50-150 2.8 with the EOS R? I’m in the market to get a zoom and considering the 70-200 F2.8L IS but also comparing alternatives.

At first I was just looking at the full frame line up but then realise that the EOS R can also use EF-s lenses via its converter. So this opens up my options to both EF and EF-s lenses.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has tried this combination or other combinations with roughly the same focal lengths.

Thank you in advance.

I recommend sticking exclusively with Canon lenses with the RF adapters.  

I would expect the next zoom in the RF lineup to be a 70-200mm.  But, seeing how Canon just recently released the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM, maybe not.  Go for that lens, or the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, which has jaw dripping sharpness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."