cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigma 150-600

Corvax
Apprentice
So I was going to invest and get the sigma 150-600mm lens I have a rebel sl1. Was wondering if it's a good lens for the camera I have or is it not worth getting it and save up for a better camera then get the lens. Thanks for the help
37 REPLIES 37

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...isn't going to get more power to the lens."

The lens is going to take whatever power it needs.  The only question is how long the battery can supply it. I think it not a problem but if it is take two batteries or even three.

No the lens will attempt to take what ever power it needs. The smaller the battery the more voltage drop when under load. When there are two batteries like when using a battery grip the demand is shared between the two batteries and there is less voltage drop under heavy load. 

I'm also not talking theoretically. I've had first hand issues with my Sigma 150-500 OS 'freaking out' (OS sounded like it was going to tear the lens apart) when used with my Canon XTi. Note: releasing the shutter didn't stop it, shutting the camera off didn't stop it, I had to pull the battery from the camera to get it to stop. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Even if that amounts to a significant loss of battery usage, which I don't agree with at all, carrying a second battery is not difficult.  Lot's of folks own more than one battery.  Geez!

And lots of folks use a battery grip with two batteries for higher amperage or a 1DX camera with both higher voltage and higher amperage batteries to specifically help with the focus speed of bigger lenses.  

Carrying an extra little battery in your pocket isn't going to get more power to the lens.

I am not sure how a battery grip actually works.  But, it seems to me that it automatically switches between using the two batteries, not combining them for more power.

[EDIT] I have reached this conclusion because when I look at the battery monitor, it tells me how many shots have been used for each battery.  If the batteries were working together, then I would not expect this type of status report.  It seems as if the camera automatically switches between the two batteries as they wear down.  This is a good argument to keep the two batteries at, or near, equal charge.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Even if that amounts to a significant loss of battery usage, which I don't agree with at all, carrying a second battery is not difficult.  Lot's of folks own more than one battery.  Geez!

Ohm’s Law is not an opinion.  It is a fact of physics, and simple math.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
I don't think your conclusion is correct. The behavior of the Genuine Cannon grip on my 7D Mk II would suggest it is more sophisticated than either alternating batteries shot to shot or simply always using the batteries in parallel.

@TTMartin wrote:
I don't think your conclusion is correct. The behavior of the Genuine Cannon grip on my 7D Mk II would suggest it is more sophisticated than either alternating batteries shot to shot or simply always using the batteries in parallel.

I have a 7D2 with a grip, too. The camera body does not seem to matter. I can find no better explanation for the shot count per battery, other than it is alternating batteries as they discharge.

BTW, I think the beefy battery in a1D series contributes a lot to the ability of the cameras to seemingly focus much better than camera bodies smaller batteries.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

I have a 7D2 with a grip, too. The camera body does not seem to matter. I can find no better explanation for the shot count per battery, other than it is alternating batteries as they discharge.

BTW, I think the beefy battery in a1D series contributes a lot to the ability of the cameras to seemingly focus much better than camera bodies smaller batteries.

There are several different explanations for how the grip could chooses to distribute the shot count. Your conclusion doesn't account for occasional uneven battery draw which I observe sometimes, but, not always. Nor does your conclusion account for my and others perceived better AF performance of big lenses like my Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 when using a battery grip, though admittedly that could be a placebo affect. 

As far as 1DX series cameras and the latest big white lenses it is documented by Canon that they drive the lens's AF faster by delivering more power to the lens. 

The botton line.

"No, the problem is, we have not confirmed there is a problem.  There is not."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The botton line.

"No, the problem is, we have not confirmed there is a problem.  There is not."

Well, if you say so, Ernie, but I don't know where you find your certainty.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but there are some in this forum who are. I think I'll stand by what I've said until one of them explicitly corrects me. You ridiculed my analogy about trying to start a car with D cells, but I suspect that's because you didn't really understand it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"... but I don't know where you find your certainty."

You are right, no certainty,  I have not used a 150-600mm on a SL1.  Neither have any of the "experts" that replied.  I have used the ef 70-200mm f2.8 and the ef 100-400mm zoom on a SL1. Guess what? They work fine.  I see no indication the 150-600's will not do the same.

"You ridiculed my analogy about trying to start a car with D cells, ..." 

Do you seriously think that proves the SL1 cannot operate a big lens?  Yeah, I didn't think so either.  That is why it is ridiculous.

Again....

The bottom line.

"No, the problem is, we have not confirmed there is a problem.  There is not."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have used one on an XS, which is probably in the ballpark. I did not notice any issues except lower battery life compared to other lenses.

Announcements