cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sand In focusing ring of an L series lens.

Nand0s
Apprentice

Hi, 

I have a problem with my Canon 24-105mm f/4.0 IS L, somewhow I have manged to get some sand in my focusing ring. I can hear the sand rubing when using manual focus.  What should I do about this? I'm also wondering how sand manged to get into a weather sealed lens?  

Would there also be any easy fix? or somthing I could do myself?

Any help is appreciated

2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority

I would not take my lens apart as a DIY project.  It seems like a pain, but I would mail it to an authorized service center for cleaning/repair.

Weathersealing is nice, but definitely not sand-proof. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Mykolas
Authority

Nand0s,

The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens is sealed to a certain degree.  The lens still needs to breathe, like other lenses do.  The seals help resist moisture and sand, but they do not make the lens moisture proof or sand proof. 

I am inclined to agree with ScottyP.  Taking the lens apart to clean it on your own is not recommended.  I recommend that you send the lens to our Factory Service Center to be cleaned by our technicians.

To start this process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements