cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting your camera on your lens... Can it damage the lens or the body?

mikeB
Contributor
I see a lot of pictures of cameras resting face down on their lens and I have always wondered if this could damage the lens? Besides the obvious of the lens and camera falling over, can this wreck the lens mechanical parts or even damage the mount to the body? I know that the 5D and 1DX are pro cameras and built solid and tough, but what about the 650D?

When I'm not using my camera I always take the lenses off and store everything separate... Am I being over cautious?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

Do you mean the camera is stood vertically above the lens or lets say sitting on a table with the lens out front resting on itself or the lens hood? I set mine down on either it's bottom or side with a lens on & let the lens hood (or camera strap if no hood is installed) support it all the time. Never been an issue to date.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I have been setting my cameras down as per the 2nd link since the mid 70's without an issue. I don't think setting it down in a vertical position can cause damage either BUT knocking it over can. The larger the hood diameter the less the risk but I NEVER do that.

NOTE it is a common way to take a photo of your gear.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Neither way will damage the camera or the lens. Dropping the camera can, unless it is a 1D series.

Most professionals I know, I mean full time bread-and-butter guys see their equipment as simply tools.

The photo is paramount and the camera is just a means.

That is why the 1D series are built so "tank" like. They have to be to survive the constant use and abuse.

They used to say you could beat someone to death with a 1D and than take the crime scene photos with it!

Probably the worst thing you can do to the plastice body camera (Rebel) is hold just the camera body and leave a heavy lens unsupported. Always support a heavy lens, this can damage the mount if ignored.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

diverhank
Authority

In my opinion, on the first link, if you want to keep the body and lens together, resting it on the lens for that kind of big lens is the safer way.  The body is feather light compared to the lens.  Resting on the lens, the weight might damage the connection part (but only if you transport it, having it bouncing around - just sitting there I don't think will be a problem)

I never disconnect the lens from the body, partly because I'm lazy but my real fear is getting dust into the camera.  I always make sure the camera body bears the weight.  The lens always rest on either the tripod ring or I put padding underneath for transport.  If I have a huge lens like in the picture, I'd definitely separate the lens from the body for transport.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I have nothing to base this on other than gut feelings.  I don't sit the camera down on the end of lense, especially if it is one that slides to focus.  You don't want it sliding in and out while sitting it down IMO.  Second thing is if you set it lens end down there is the chance something could get on the front element of the lens and scratch it if not protected.  I set mine down horizontally as in the 2d picture, then again the heavies lens I have is a 400mm so it's not that long.  Though I don't store my camera with a big lens on, I do store them with something like a 50mm or short zoom lens on the body.

I have not had any issues this way and I've had slr's since 1970.

Announcements