cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolution problem on EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS*3

davidblacker
Contributor
Hi all. I've been reading reviews on this lens, but read one that said the lens' resolution wasn't good enough for cameras over 12mp. Is this true? My cam's a 600D which is 18mp.
17 REPLIES 17

Thanks. Those are good points to keep in mind.

Without knowing your skill set in whatever field of photography you're interested in or whether you shoot in the old school modes (TV, Av, M or Bulb) I'll provide a link to an album shot with a 7D (18 mpixels) & the original version of the Tamron 18-270 VC. I've read that the current version is both sharper & has a better AF system. You need to know that the camera / lens were all I had with me, and I didn't know there was going to be an air show before checking into my hotel, even though I belong to 4 busy forums relating to Cozumel. More importantly you need to know that good aviation photos have prop blur, to show that the plane is actually flying, so slow shutter speeds are mandatory vs what most would use who aren't into aviation. Flight shots are at 1/320 for the prop planes & under 1/100 for the heli, so the LENS can do better because my panning skills come into play. On the plus side (for me) I shoot Radio Control events all summer long, but with pro caliber gear that I'm more familiar with when shooting action. The in hangar shots are ISO 3200 without flash because I only had the built in flash. I'm not suggesting that the Tamron is better than Canon's 18-200, & can't because I haven't shot it, but I am suggesting that knowing your equipment & having a good skill set is the key to getting good results.

https://picasaweb.google.com/TCPRCphotos/AirShowCozumel2012

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks. Great pix.

I'm strictly an amateur and this is my first DSLR. My last camera was a little point-n-shoot! But I like photography, and am good at composition. Basically, I'm trying to juggle price, IQ, and versatility in as few lenses as possible. So far I've just shot some close up portraits with the 600D using the 18-55mm IS kit lens. I would like to extend my focal range, and trying to decide between having one all-purpose like the 18-200, or pairing the 55-250 with the kit lens.

@davidblacker wrote:
Thanks. Great pix.

I'm strictly an amateur and this is my first DSLR. My last camera was a little point-n-shoot! But I like photography, and am good at composition. Basically, I'm trying to juggle price, IQ, and versatility in as few lenses as possible. So far I've just shot some close up portraits with the 600D using the 18-55mm IS kit lens. I would like to extend my focal range, and trying to decide between having one all-purpose like the 18-200, or pairing the 55-250 with the kit lens.

My short answer is get the 18-200mm.  I got it from Adorama as a Canon Refurbished for $400.

My longer answer is I also have the 60D, the 18-55mm and 55-250mm.  The 55-250mm was my second lens for my old body.  Since I was still getting my feet wet, the price was perfect - I see it on sale for $150 new here and there.  I used those two lenses on my XS for a long time.  After upgrading both of them, on vacations I found myself switching lenses a lot.  It's a small price for getting the photos I wanted.  But other than the money cost, there was a the exponentially increasing cost of my woman's patience.  Enter the 18-200mm.  No swapping lenses, more room in the backpack, you zoom, take your shot, then continue strolling  🙂

There are times when I really missed not having the wider aperature, the longer focal length, and during post-processing, I know I could have gotten more had I brought my other lenses.  But for times when you're travelling for the travel and not the photo, the 18-200mm fits nicely.

Thanks. The 55-250 is about $200 and the 18-200 is about $450, both new where I am, and right now I might have to go for the 55-250 'cos money's fairly tight. But yes, I agree that the 18-200 seems more practical.

Guys, after much deliberation, I bought the 18-200 today. Thanks for all the advice.

timberland
Apprentice

I own the Canon 18-200...its a great walk around lens.  I purchesed it when I had my T1i and now shoot with it on my 7D.  Is it a L ???, no.  The intent was never for it to be. 

If we could post photos here it would be nice....... I then could show you what I have captured...waterfalls, stream sides, black bears and drag race cars. 

You can add photos directly from your computer. Just click on the "insert image" icon above the text box, it's the second icon on the right of the "smiley face" 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements