cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing my stock 18-55mm kit lens for video. Would love some expertise!

JLRoyal42
Apprentice

Whats up guys! I'm really trying to retire my stock 18-55 kit lens. 90% of the work I do is video production/commercial/music videos all filmed on my cropped sensored T3I Rebel.. I'm one of the people who believes it's no about the equipment, but who's behind it.. Well, to a certain extent lol.. But I currently own a 50mm-1.8 prime as well as a 35mm-2.0 prime and I've been really happy with the quality those produce, however, I can't use those lens's effectivly when I'm on a track,crane or flycam since what you can see in the shot is so limited. 

I've really been considering the 17-40mm F4 L lens. Can anyone back this lens up? Will it suit me well for video production and pull super sharp images? I'm not so concerned about how far it can zoom since I have my prime 35mm and 50mm which basically act like a 60//80 on my cropped sensors. So I really need something like my stock 18 but much nicer quality..  Does this lens still let in good light with it being a zoom & F4? 

1 REPLY 1

Tim
Authority

JLRoyal42,

We're glad to assist you with a new lens for shooting your video productions and commercial, music videos.  The EF 17-40mm f/4L USM lens would be a good choice for this type of work. 

Another great lens would be the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM lens.  This lens lets even more light into the camera if this is a primary concern. Both being 'L' series lenses, they are made with the highest exacting standards.  They work well as zooms for video too because they maintain their aperture across the focal range. 

I hope this helps you make a decision as to which lens you pick!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements