cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair or replace lens?

singedfur
Contributor

The AF on my 18-55 (kit) lens is no longer functioning.   The camera shoots fine in MF mode.  If I manually rotate/extend the focus portion of the lens all the way out, then shoot an AF picture, it will pull the lens in properly to focus and take the shot.  However, if I attempt to take another pix where the lens needs to extend the front portion of the lens to focus properly, it is unable to move the lens *out*, and it will not snap another pix.  In other words, the camera is able to pull the lens in to focus and take the shot, but it can't push the lens out to focus and shoot the pix.

Are there 2 seperate motors, such that it is possible one of them has failed and not the other?  Are there any further checks I can do?

Lastly, if the lens is toast, is it cost-effective to have it serviced, or am I better off purchasing new?

Thank you for any help!  I miss my camera!!

Patricia

1 REPLY 1

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are there 2 seperate motors, such that it is possible one of them has failed and not the other?   No, there is only one.

Are there any further checks I can do?    Try it on a different camera. I doubt it will be any different but you can try it.

Lastly, if the lens is toast, is it cost-effective to have it serviced, or am I better off purchasing new?    Yes, buy a new one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements