cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove tripod mount on non-IS 300mm f2.8 ef

patrickdedwards
Apprentice

Hi, I've recently purchased a used Canon 300mm f2.8 ef L USM lens (pre-IS) and was wondering how I can remove the heavy (and apparently permanently attached) tripod mount so make it easier to handhold, cheers Patrick

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Those are standard hex (not Bristol spline which shows up in some early post-war equipment) but are probably metric. 

Taking the ring off requires lens disassembling this lens model.

I have the IS version of that lens but otherwise the optics are the same and it is an incredible lens. 

I don't think you are going to lose very much weight via the tripod ring even if you do disassemble the lens to take it off.  It is close to the camera body which is where you want some weight to balance this lens while hand holding.  The ring design is probably a little heavier with your model than it is on my IS version which wouldn't be worth removing unless I never used it because it is extremely light.

If this is the first heavy prime you have handheld, it will feel far more comfortable after you get used to it.  I shoot extensively with the 300 f2.8 IS and 400 f2.8 IS II handheld but draw the line at the EF 800 f5.6 where 5 minutes of handheld is my limit for getting decent shots.  The length of the EF 800 f5.6 is the killer but the 300 f2.8, especially on a 1DX series body, is very nicely balanced given its short length.  If you are using one of the other Canon bodies then you may find that even though it adds weight, the heft and balance of a battery grip makes a useful difference.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

I'm another, don't remove it.  It will save you almost nothing in weight. If the weight is too much for you how about checking out the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens? Weighs in at about 1/2 as much. It is one of my all time favorite lenses. Plus it lends itself to using the 1.4x tel-con very well. Is one stop really worth it to you.  I seriously doubt it would be.  The Canon EF 300 f/4 IS L Lens is significantly smaller than the Canon EF 300 f/2.8L Lens, too. It focuses closer and the IQ while maybe not quit the same is pretty darn good.  The f4 model uses regular albeit rather large front filters while the f2.8 uses proprietary 52mm drop-in filters.

It must be easy to construct 300mm lenses because they all seem to have good IQ. My old FD 300mm f4L is a fantastic lens, also.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Are you talking about the ring or the foot.  How about a picture.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Well removing the foot would be a start. Have attached a couple of pix that hopefully show the scale of the problem

IMG_1309.JPGIMG_1310.JPG

Greetings,

I see an allen or hex wrench in your future.  The foot is all you can hope for unless you want to start disassembling your lens.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Cheers Rick I tried an allen key but it wouldn't grip. Guess I'll have to live with it as it is

Greetings,

I can't see inside well enough, but those anchors look a little rounded off inside.  

Are they standard hex?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Those are standard hex (not Bristol spline which shows up in some early post-war equipment) but are probably metric. 

Taking the ring off requires lens disassembling this lens model.

I have the IS version of that lens but otherwise the optics are the same and it is an incredible lens. 

I don't think you are going to lose very much weight via the tripod ring even if you do disassemble the lens to take it off.  It is close to the camera body which is where you want some weight to balance this lens while hand holding.  The ring design is probably a little heavier with your model than it is on my IS version which wouldn't be worth removing unless I never used it because it is extremely light.

If this is the first heavy prime you have handheld, it will feel far more comfortable after you get used to it.  I shoot extensively with the 300 f2.8 IS and 400 f2.8 IS II handheld but draw the line at the EF 800 f5.6 where 5 minutes of handheld is my limit for getting decent shots.  The length of the EF 800 f5.6 is the killer but the 300 f2.8, especially on a 1DX series body, is very nicely balanced given its short length.  If you are using one of the other Canon bodies then you may find that even though it adds weight, the heft and balance of a battery grip makes a useful difference.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I'm another, don't remove it.  It will save you almost nothing in weight. If the weight is too much for you how about checking out the Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens? Weighs in at about 1/2 as much. It is one of my all time favorite lenses. Plus it lends itself to using the 1.4x tel-con very well. Is one stop really worth it to you.  I seriously doubt it would be.  The Canon EF 300 f/4 IS L Lens is significantly smaller than the Canon EF 300 f/2.8L Lens, too. It focuses closer and the IQ while maybe not quit the same is pretty darn good.  The f4 model uses regular albeit rather large front filters while the f2.8 uses proprietary 52mm drop-in filters.

It must be easy to construct 300mm lenses because they all seem to have good IQ. My old FD 300mm f4L is a fantastic lens, also.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements