cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recycling decent older SLR lenses

Avondale87
Contributor

It's obvious the world must be 'full of' old decent lenses made in SLR days. 

Those that cost a mint. 

Are they being recycled? 

Is it too much to expect they should be able to be returned and remade to modern digital format cameras. 

I know it is possible (I do) to put them on modern digitals, but how much better would they be if they were reassembled in a modern body with correct fittings etc. 

I expect some may say it's not possible or not worth it. 

My creative mind doesn't take too easily to quick 'can't be done' though. 

We are told the cost is in the glass, re expensive 'super lenses'. 

I'm open to hear how others view this. 

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I expect some may say it's not possible or not worth it."

This may not be the definition of impossible but it is a very good one.  However, some of them do make good coffee mugs!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I will add another thought I just had.  I know pretty rare, a thought came to this brain.  But way, way back when Canon decided they were going to change the FD lens mount I had a pretty heated discussion with the Canon rep for my area. I doubt he was wondering whether I was not happy or not.  I had a lot of money invested in FD glass.  Sure I was upset.  In the end I knew he was right. There was just no way the FD mount could do all the great things Canon wanted to do with the new lens system.

Times and things change.  Some, maybe most, are best left in the past.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Just as vintage vinyl has made something of a comeback those older lenses are probably best utilized on a matching quality older vintage film body.  Or alternatively a high quality "digital back" for a film camera that works with the lens mount is far more practical than repackaging the optics into a lens body and electronic architecture to work with a current DSLR.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements