cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended a good versatile lens.

ironising84
Apprentice

I've been using my 80D for around 6 months now. So far I've just been using the 18-55 that I got the camera with. I love to shoot land and seascapes.

I'd like to get into macro photography in the future, but for my first 'nice' lens I want something that's not so specialized. I could even do 2 lenses, but at the moment I'd like something I can really work out, instead of getting a few and getting overwhelmed.

I've got a budget of around $1400, so I'd love some recommendations.

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Do you want to stick with wide to standard focal lengths? Or are you wanting to also have telephoto options?

If you want to stay within 18-55mm, is there any particular focal length that you tend to use the majority of the time?

How important will wide apertures be?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you find that you want a wider lens? Then look at the EF-S 10 - 18.

(I think the EF-S18-135 is a good step up from the 18-55 with a bit more reach.)

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Instead of the low end lenses suggested I would up your game and move into the more professional lenses. You have a beginner lens now. No better time to do it.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If you want wide angle on an APS-C sensor, you have to go "low end".

"If you want wide angle on an APS-C sensor, you have to go "low end"."

Really? Perhaps, Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens. Not exactly "low end"! Off brand perhaps, Sigma 12-24mm f/4 DG HSM Art Lens. Not exactly "low end" either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements