Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Recommendation please

@rs-eos wrote:

I can also highly recommend the EF 50mm f/1.2 L.  I first used that with an EOS 6D and now a 5D IV.   When adding light isn't an option, and you can use f/1.2, it's awesome.

Having said that, I would also not shy away from adding in fill flash.  However, look at adding just a minimal amount (say 1/32 power or lower).  Since you have a 6D, you can increase ISO without too much noise at all.  Higher ISO is a great way to reduce overall flash power.   1/32 power is the same as any pre-flash in ETTL so it should not be much a distraction.  If using manual, you'd then be skipping the pre-flash for even less distraction.

In close quarters... the 50mm may still work.  Though that may not be wide enough.  Thus you could also look at Canon's 35mm f/1.4L or the 24mm f/1.4L.

Thank you!  I need to serious up my game in knowldege about lighting.  Golden hour means nothing indoors.   I have my work cut out for me.

Valued Contributor

Re: Recommendation please

You can always re-create golden hour with flash as well!

I don't think it's in print anymore, but I started with Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook.  B&H event space videos (all free) is where I also learned quite a bit.   They have several for flash; many specific to Canon gear.

Years ago I also attended various in-person workshops where I had the opportunity to learn from many of Canon's Explorers of Light.

But as you may already know, nothing beats practice.

--
Ricky

EOS 5D IV, 50mm f/1.2L, 135mm f/2L, 600EX-RT (x6), ST-E3-RT, Vixia HF G50