cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation please

Wonderwoman
Contributor

I'm looking for a recommendation for lens(es).  I'm planning to volunteer for Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (stillbirth/end of life  photography) to help parents/siblings heal from tragic loss.  I have a 6D Mark II and I have specialized in landscape/wildlife photography and I know I have a steep learning curve in front of me.  I will be in close quarters, low/difficult lighting and I definitely can't be right in everyones face. I also need something super reliable, as there will be no retakes.  If you have any lighting recommendations, I will take those as well. 🙂

Thank you in advance!

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That's a wonderful thing you are doing.

Found this online:

Screenshot 2021-02-12 124916.jpg

Can the organization put you in touch with other photographer volunteers in your area?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you!  I have just begun doing research and will need to do a lot of work before I can submit a portfolio to be approved.  Talking to some of their current photographers is a great idea! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have never done anything like that but I can almost guarantee you artificial additional lighting is off and a very bad idea to boot. You already have a fine camera that is capable.  Probably not much to be gained by switching. That only leave the lens.

The fastest and my recommendation would be one of the faster 50mm primes.  Canon's own ef 50mm f1.2L.  Sigma's 50mm f1.4 Art lens are two suggestions.  There are fast zooms but nine I know of that offer these f-ratios. 

If you can't get close to the subject, there are the 85mm primes.  Canon's 85mm f1.2L ans Sigma's 85mm f1.4 Art for instance.

Without seeing the exact conditions, it is impossible to make a definite solution or recommendation. Nobody can!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you!  I currently have a 50mm in my arsenal and I have been thinking about an 85mm.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I can also highly recommend the EF 50mm f/1.2 L.  I first used that with an EOS 6D and now a 5D IV.   When adding light isn't an option, and you can use f/1.2, it's awesome.

Having said that, I would also not shy away from adding in fill flash.  However, look at adding just a minimal amount (say 1/32 power or lower).  Since you have a 6D, you can increase ISO without too much noise at all.  Higher ISO is a great way to reduce overall flash power.   1/32 power is the same as any pre-flash in ETTL so it should not be much a distraction.  If using manual, you'd then be skipping the pre-flash for even less distraction.

In close quarters... the 50mm may still work.  Though that may not be wide enough.  Thus you could also look at Canon's 35mm f/1.4L or the 24mm f/1.4L.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

I can also highly recommend the EF 50mm f/1.2 L.  I first used that with an EOS 6D and now a 5D IV.   When adding light isn't an option, and you can use f/1.2, it's awesome.

Having said that, I would also not shy away from adding in fill flash.  However, look at adding just a minimal amount (say 1/32 power or lower).  Since you have a 6D, you can increase ISO without too much noise at all.  Higher ISO is a great way to reduce overall flash power.   1/32 power is the same as any pre-flash in ETTL so it should not be much a distraction.  If using manual, you'd then be skipping the pre-flash for even less distraction.

In close quarters... the 50mm may still work.  Though that may not be wide enough.  Thus you could also look at Canon's 35mm f/1.4L or the 24mm f/1.4L.

Thank you!  I need to serious up my game in knowldege about lighting.  Golden hour means nothing indoors.   I have my work cut out for me.

You can always re-create golden hour with flash as well!

I don't think it's in print anymore, but I started with Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook.  B&H event space videos (all free) is where I also learned quite a bit.   They have several for flash; many specific to Canon gear.

Years ago I also attended various in-person workshops where I had the opportunity to learn from many of Canon's Explorers of Light.

But as you may already know, nothing beats practice.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
I did do a funeral actually two but any sort of flash is out of question. Very disrespectful to say the least. IMHO of course.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:
I did do a funeral actually two but any sort of flash is out of question. Very disrespectful to say the least. IMHO of course.

I thought the same thing, however, the organization is looking for proficiency in using lighting to get the perfect shot.

Announcements