cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend Neutral Density Filters?

ilzho
Rising Star

Hello:

I am in the market for a rectangular ND filter system. I am looking at getting a 3 & 6 stop nd filters.

I realize they can be very expensive and there are many different manufacturers (Cokin, Lee, Progrey, Hoya, B+W, Tiffen, etc.), but can you all recommend good ones and ones to stay away from?

Also, would you recommend graduated filters or the solid ND filter?

I am looking to expand my landscape photography and to better blur water and clouds, etc.

Thanks,

David

11 REPLIES 11

@DanSFwrote:

You're exactly correct. It's two polarizers rotating on a common axis.  That also causes potential problems with a mark that resembles the letter "X" at some settings. 

But for me, while experimenting, I'm willing to live with that given the convenience and it's fun to play with.  For people who do professional or precise work, I think they need to get a regular ND filter.

I'd expect that "X" effect to be most pronounced in landscapes taken with a wide-angle lens, because the degree of polarization of sunlight depends rather strongly on the position of the sun relative to any given point in the scene. If only one polarizer is used, the usual effect is a gradation in the darkness of the sky. With two polarizers, it's no surprise if it's geometrically messier.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for the note. I haven't seen it yet in my photos, but an example on the web on the Petapixel web site is a landscape, just like you said.  The site also says the effect is most pronounced at the darkest settings.  Some people attempt to fix it in digital post processing.

One brand claims to have found a way to avoid that, but I don't have personal experience.

Announcements