cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear mark on rear element on Canon 17-55mm Lens

Texas
Apprentice

Hello Everyone,
 I bought a new Canon 90D and for it, I got a Canon 17-55mm 2.8/f USM lens.
The lens I got used from eBay and just came in.

Putting the lens up to the light, you can see a mark that looks like a scratch on the intereal side of the rear element ( not sure the correct name for that part is).

I am not sure if it is a scratch, fungus, or something else. Any ideas?

On a quick video test, I don't see it, but I will be doing some deeper test in a little bit to see if you can see it from pictures.

How much work would it be for a shop to open it up and check it?

Another issue is this lens has lens creep.

So far I'm thinking it might be better to return the lens and find another one. Wanted peoples thoughts here.

20201128_100854.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...I'm thinking it might be better to return the lens and find another one."

This is the correct action to take, but................

"...a mark that looks like a scratch on the intereal side of the rear element ..."

May never show up in normal general use. However, I would not and would never accept it and neither should you.

"...this lens has lens creep."

Pretty common with any zoom lens.  Some have it worse than others. Some have a zoom lock to prevent it.  It is no biggie but if it is really excessive it may mean the lens has seen extensive use or abuse.  Again, this is a return candidate. The one issue might be if it was clearly stated as such in the description on eBay,

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"...this lens has lens creep."

My copy does not creep, at all.  I agree with the others, send it back for a full refund.  I do not feel eBay is a good source for used camera gear.  I assume that you need to pay for the return shipping to get a refund.  Reputable dealers would pay for it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I agree with Ernie that it needs to go back.

Whatever it is won't get better and ANY damage or aberration on the inside of a lens would be of greater concern.  Something caused that defect and on the inside of a lens it is probably:

1. fungus or

2. damage when somebody who shouldn't have decided to take a lens apart or

3. damage from something inside the lens

But regardless of root cause, this isn't a rare lens and you don't want to own or rely upon one with an obvious problem.  Don't think about taking it to a camera shop, you don't want to own the problem.  Return it via Ebay.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Texas
Apprentice

Update: 

Found another issue, the after closing to f22, the lens will not open back up. So I am trying to return it. The ebay listing does say seller doesn't allow returns, however he did put that the lens is in "excellent condition". 

Thanks for your help

@Texas wrote:

Update: 

Found another issue, the after closing to f22, the lens will not open back up. So I am trying to return it. The ebay listing does say seller doesn't allow returns, however he did put that the lens is in "excellent condition". 

Thanks for your help

Good luck.  A "no returns" policy would have been a red flag for me.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

When an item is not as described, ebay has a very strong policy that the seller must take it back regardless of their no return policy.  Clearly your lens is NOT in excellent condition and is not functional.

Paypal also has a very strong buyer protection policy.  Start the process immediately and take pictures/document everything.  Most sellers are honest and to provide the benefit of the doubt, the seller may not know much about lenses and didn't know it was defective.  But do NOT let the seller tangle you up in a long process or otherwise you may end up keeping the lens.  Do all communication through the ebay message system starting with your notification to the seller that it was not as described so that they have a well documented trail to follow.

I have only had one major issue with ebay and although ebay quickly sided with me, Paypal ultimately had to get involved to finalize the refund.  It was an expensive piece of industrial gear, the seller had an excellent rating, but had a 1,001 excuses why it still hadn't been shipped.  The system can be a pain to navigate but it works.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Moral of the story.  Save yourself the grief, aggravation, and loss of time you will never get back and buy new or refurb. 

Whatever $$$ that was "saved" is now out the window.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements