cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Estate Photographers: Any recommendations on cheaper Canon lenses to get me started?

wolfkinara
Apprentice

I shoot with a 5D MKIV and have a nice variety of lenses for portraits and wildlife, but the one thing I lack is a lens wide enough to get an entire room in frame(one client I contacted is asking for this). I just need something under $500(generally USM, gold ring) for the time being so I can get my portfolio going and pick up some basic gigs. Eventually I will invest in better glass once I get more work.

Do you have any favorite lower cost lenses that you use?

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Welcome,

You've got a great camera.  Real Estate photography.

Plenty of lens options.

Super cheap pancakes

Wide to ultra wide zooms

Refurbs

New

I would go with a 17-40 F4.  EF mount, L glass will pair well with your 5D4.  You'll have plenty of wide angle at 17 and can zoom up to 40 when capturing rooms.

One mistake I see a lot of real estate people make is going too wide.  While I realize giving the impression of space is important, I see a lot of images that appear un-natural. That's a whole other discussion.  Hope this gets you started.    

**Edited for typo

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Do you have any favorite lower cost lenses that you use?"

Not only a favorite but perhaps the better lens, the Tokina Opera 16-28mm f/2.8 FF Lens for Canon.

"...I will invest in better glass..."

You won't have to, why buy twice when once will do?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I certainly respect Ebiggs1 experience  - if he recommends a lens it's worth looking into.

For what it's worthScott Hargis is arguably one of the top real estate photographers in the USA. He wrote a book called "Lighting Interiors" and said that his go-to lens was the Canon 17-40L.  I have used the same lens for photographing real estate work.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens is a good lens. I used one for years. I mistakenly sold it and upgraded to the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.  And that lens is the reason I went searching for another "upgrade". I found the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens. Normally I don't recommend any lens from Tokina but this one is different. The only thing that I would suspect is its durability but so far it has done exactly what it should. Its IQ is fantastic.

The EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens is an older design.  It has a reasonable price. Decent IQ but you give up a stop.

EB

I know that Scott Hargis did all his work on a tripod and did not use a wide aperture so he could get good DoF, and he used remote flash units as well. Much depends on the style of the photographer I think.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

RexGig
Enthusiast
People who guided my start in SLR photography, almost a decade ago, had a high regard for the EF 17-40mm f/4L. To this day, if one is shooting stopped-down, to maximize DOF, this lens will get the job done, for its owners.

If anyone has a decent APS-C body, the EF-S 10-22mm lens actually does interiors very well. I realize that this may not apply to the author of the original post, but may be helpful to others, who may read this.

The EF-S 10-22mm has so very little distortion, one does not need to apply much, if any, correction, if one has held the camera level, during the shots. (When my duties included crime scene photography, I was not allowed to apply distortion correction in post-processing, and the original 7D had no capability to apply distortion correction data in-camera, at the time of capture.)

When my EF-S 10-22mm lens partially disassembled itself, after almost seven years of hard use, I no longer had a need for a lens to shoot interiors at wide angles, so have yet to choose an EF-mount zoom, to replace it.

I bought an EF 16-35/2.8L II, while my EF-S 10-22mm was still functioning. When I added a 5Ds R, the weaknesses of this L II became apparent, so I sold or traded it.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

4 year old thread.  Safe to let this one go.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The prior two posters (Elizab3th and DownSh1ft) are probably bots.  Another reason I'm hoping Canon can one day prevent replies to old threads.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Ricky, why do you think so. Educate an old guy because I see no reason for a bot to reply to a thread.  What gain or purpose do they achieve?

EB
Announcements