cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rain gear reliabilty

BillyJack
Contributor

I've been shooting sports for many years now and never had the nerve to trust the rain gear I purchased in a down pour. Soccer and American Football are really the only two sports I shoot where there is a chance of the competition not be postponed due to rain, but when it occurs I run for cover! I don't mind getting wet, but can not afford to replace a lens because I relied on a $20 piece of plastic. The cover I have seams to seal really well around the lens face, but is that part of the lens water tight?

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

It's going to depend on what camera body and lens you're referring to.  Even then, Canon doesn't make objective claims of what is ok and what is not (with the exception of actual waterproof point and shoots).  They make vague references to "improved weather sealing" and "weather resistant" on various upper end camera bodies and gear. Then they let the internet banter fluff that up into "water proof' and 'this one is more water proof than that", etc.  It encourages purchasing of the more expensive "professional" (another term that Canon doesn't define or really even use) products because the weather sealing has been made into more than it is through gossip.

But all that doesn't mean a thing, the only thing that matters is what Canon will do when you show up on their doorstep with an unusable camera that shows signs of water damage.  The answer is, you're S.O.L.

As Skirball points out, whether or not the camera or lens have weather seals will depend on specificially which camera body you use and specifically which lens you use.

None of the EOS Rebel bodies have weather seals -- so if you have any Rebel camera, keep it away from water.

Most of the mid-level and high-end cameras do have weather seals... but to varying degrees.  Typically there are gaskets on body seams and buttons and O-rings to seal all the dials.  But you'd notice that the memory slot door and battery door don't technically form a tight seal.

If the lens is not a Canon "L" series lens then that lens will not have a weather seal.  If the lens is a Canon "L" series lens then that lens only MIGHT have weather sealing.  You'd have to read the instructions for the specific lens.  Sometimes the instructions will indicate that a front filter is required to "complete the weather seal" (e.g. this is one instance where it might be a good idea to use a UV filter.  Most other times a UV filter simply isn't necessary and may degrade image quality.)

The weather seals are designed to keep out dust and water... but water caused by things like spray, or moderate rain.  Basically the water must not be under any form of pressure.  If you're being blasted by a hose or out in a torrential downpour with a hard driving rain... I wouldn't trust those seals.

The weather-sealed camera bodies and lenses are not "water proof".  They'll all flood if submerged in water.  

The rain-sleeves protect the body and lens from water falling from above -- but of course most sleeves leave the bottom open so you can reach in and operate the controls.  The front of the lens is exposed because a clear plastic window on a sleeve would obviously distort the image.  So again... a clear filter may help here.

Even if you own weather-sealed gear, towel the camera and lens dry before opening anything.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My equipment does what want.  Usually clients don't understand excuses, like it was raining or it was cold outside.  They just want their photos.  I shot a football game in the aftermath of hurrican Ivan.

Now I take reasonable care of my gears but in the end it has to perform.  And, I use the best Canon has to offer in the 1D series and "L" lenses. I were a poncho and rain coats on my lenses.

I have had ice on my camera in the mountians in Colorado.  You do what you have to do.  I don't know what camera you are shooting but Canon 1 series are very tuff.  Plus you can't get better than "L" lenses.

BTW, nothing suffered from Ivan.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

My equipment does what want.  Usually clients don't understand excuses, like it was raining or it was cold outside.  They just want their photos.  I shot a football game in the aftermath of hurrican Ivan.

Now I take reasonable care of my gears but in the end it has to perform.  And, I use the best Canon has to offer in the 1D series and "L" lenses. I were a poncho and rain coats on my lenses.

I have had ice on my camera in the mountians in Colorado.  You do what you have to do.  I don't know what camera you are shooting but Canon 1 series are very tuff.  Plus you can't get better than "L" lenses.

BTW, nothing suffered from Ivan.

A friend of my barber's cousin once knew an old geezer from back in the hills who had two clips welded to the back of his 1D, so that he could attach it to a spit and warm it over his cooking fire.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"... once knew an old geezer ..."

Hey, I reprensent that!  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements