cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF lens roadmap 2021

John_SD
Whiz

According to Canon Rumors here is what is in store for 2021. Although technically the Coke-can sized RF 70-200mm f4 L IS USM lens was to be released on 12/10/20, it was delayed. A sign of the times, I guess. The lens should should arive on 1/29/21, according to B&H. I suspect it will immediately be sold out due to pre-orders. And the fact that there is extremely high demand for that lens. 

That RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM is very tempting. Looks like a good year coming for RF. 

These lenses are likely being announced in 2021:

The TS-R lenses are “groundbreaking” autofocus tilt-shift lenses for the RF mount.

• Canon TS-R 14mm f/4L
  • Canon TS-R 24mm f/3.5L
  • Canon RF 10-24mm f/4L USM
  • Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro
  • Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM
  • Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L USM
  • Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1 IS USM
  • Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • Canon RF 500mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon RF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM
  • Canon RF 1200mm f/8L IS USM.
4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@John_SD wrote:

According to Canon Rumors here is what is in store for 2021. Although technically the Coke-can sized RF 70-200mm f4 L IS USM lens was to be released on 12/10/20, it was delayed. A sign of the times, I guess. The lens should should arive on 1/29/21, according to B&H. I suspect it will immediately be sold out due to pre-orders. And the fact that there is extremely high demand for that lens. 

That RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM is very tempting. Looks like a good year coming for RF. 

These lenses are likely being announced in 2021:

The TS-R lenses are “groundbreaking” autofocus tilt-shift lenses for the RF mount.

• Canon TS-R 14mm f/4L
  • Canon TS-R 24mm f/3.5L
  • Canon RF 10-24mm f/4L USM
  • Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro
  • Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM
  • Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L USM
  • Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1 IS USM
  • Canon RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • Canon RF 500mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon RF 600mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon RF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM
  • Canon RF 1200mm f/8L IS USM.

The consumer RF 24-105mm Ernie mentioned, and the consumer RF 100-400mm highlighted above would make a great lens duo.  That wide angle zoom you cited sounds pretty good, too.  

But, you can buy the 24-105mm now.  Do not buy any more EF mount lenses.  Get on a waiting list for an adapter, if you want one for your EF/EF-S mount lenses, or sell off that entire kit [OUCH] so you can buy the RF 70-200mm f/2.8L.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think you're right. Even though the widely reported EF performance on the R/RP cameras via the adapter has been stellar, I think there is also a lot to be said for using RF glass on R bodies. So that is the direction I most likely will go. Although there are some EF lenses that are tempting, their RF versions are on the way, so I'll hold tight for now. And it's not like you can get an EF to RF adapter now anyway. They remain on backorder. That RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM blows my RF 24-105mm f4-7.1 IS STM out of the water. Of course, I paid only an extra $100 to have that lens as part of my RP kit, while the f4 version is $1100. But worth every penny from everything I've read and seen. 

@John_SD wrote:

I think you're right. Even though the widely reported EF performance on the R/RP cameras via the adapter has been stellar, I think there is also a lot to be said for using RF glass on R bodies. So that is the direction I most likely will go. Although there are some EF lenses that are tempting, their RF versions are on the way, so I'll hold tight for now. And it's not like you can get an EF to RF adapter now anyway. They remain on backorder. That RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM blows my RF 24-105mm f4-7.1 IS STM out of the water. Of course, I paid only an extra $100 to have that lens as part of my RP kit, while the f4 version is $1100. But worth every penny from everything I've read and seen. 

You're halfway there.  That is a great starter lens, and the wide angle zoom you were looking at seems attractive, too.  If it is your first L glass, you will be blown away.

I forget what it is that you like to shoot.  Your next lens move should be go wide or go long.  Don't worry about the RF 24-105mm.  You have a fairly advanced camera body.  Put a priority on a f/2.8 constant aperture zoom.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you John_SD for the roadmap.

No IS on this one : Canon RF 135mm f/1.4L USM  ?

I wish it was a typo but I guess no IS.

Announcements