cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-500mm Lens Components Floating?

hoot24
Contributor

So I finally received the new Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens. Took it for a test run and shot about 40 photos. Everything seemed good. Purchased a clear lens filter and installed it. During installation of the filter, I noticed inside the lens that the components seemed to be floating and rattling around. Not just a little bit, like 1/4" or more, while the lens was off the camera. Re-installed the lens on the camera (EOS-R) and attempted to "re-park" the IS, but nothing seemed to change after I took the lens off. The same interior movement with the insides banging around. Is this normal? I can't imaging this is good for wear and tear on the lens. The insides will be banging around just while walking down the street. Anyone else notice this? Or is my lens defective? Just never had this happen before with a lens. Thanks.

31 REPLIES 31

"Av mode and a fixed ISO, IMHO, would have been much better."

This isn't the fault of the lens or learning the lens, IMHO, it is just a better way to shoot with any tele lens.  Again, that's just my way.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

APDLC
Apprentice

So glad I read this, I recently purchased the R5 and a 100-500 to go with it. I am having problems getting sharp images and find that the ISO above 200 gets noisey. I also noticed the internals of the lens moving and was concerned that this was the cause of unsharp images. So far Im not overly impressed with this lens. Thx all. 

Announcements