cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-500mm Lens Components Floating?

hoot24
Contributor

So I finally received the new Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens. Took it for a test run and shot about 40 photos. Everything seemed good. Purchased a clear lens filter and installed it. During installation of the filter, I noticed inside the lens that the components seemed to be floating and rattling around. Not just a little bit, like 1/4" or more, while the lens was off the camera. Re-installed the lens on the camera (EOS-R) and attempted to "re-park" the IS, but nothing seemed to change after I took the lens off. The same interior movement with the insides banging around. Is this normal? I can't imaging this is good for wear and tear on the lens. The insides will be banging around just while walking down the street. Anyone else notice this? Or is my lens defective? Just never had this happen before with a lens. Thanks.

31 REPLIES 31

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Lens Rentals | Blog

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I was just about to point that out...

Good to see Lens Rentals review...... Makes me feel a little bit better about what I am seeing inside my lens.  

Me too hoot...although I still think it was an odd design decision.   I guess warranties will start coming up next fall when the first crop of these went out, so there will be time to see if this problem evolves with us.

shellbo6901
Enthusiast
I just noticed this last night and was wondering if overtime it would wear down the lens. I bought it knowing I would eventually use it during a lot of hiking so imagine my face when I looked into the lens and saw that not only does it move but it moves a lot when not in use.

That's the million dollar question.   Or $2000+ question anyway.    

Moving parts and Electronics have a long history of failing.

shellbo6901
Enthusiast
Yes but should they be moving?! I’ve seen some say that it shouldn’t do it during use or when connected to the camera and it’s on, but it still does. Seems like if they are moving any without actually changing a setting that it isn’t correct. What’s keep it from moving when you press the shutter?! Of course there has to be movement at some point especially for stabilization but I assume that is purposely moved not just because in storage it is tilted one way or another. Just assuming it should be in one position when not in use. Kind of like the project you do as a kid of how to safely drop an egg without cracking it, I just want to make sure it’s supposed to be like that. I can’t physically be on one end of the camera and the end of the lens to look inside, just seems like all the time movement defeats the purpose of needing to be still when shooting fast moving subjects(etc).

"I can’t physically be on one end of the camera and the end of the lens to look inside, just seems like all the time movement defeats the purpose of needing to be still when shooting fast moving subjects(etc)."

Set the camera up with 10-second self timer so you can look in the lens. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It only moves when no power is applied.

Like I was saying in an earlier post I never got a satisfactory answer from Canon tech support.   After a lengthy phone call where I explained the situation, and shared the image I put on here, they still couldn't confirm or deny that it is normal or a problem.

I've got about 6 months left on the waranty so just plan on watching it and monitoring forums like this.

It would sure be great if Canon could address this though.  State this is normal, and maybe extend the warranty for any issues related to this that might develop after 3-4 years of use.

Announcements