cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-500mm Lens Components Floating?

hoot24
Contributor

So I finally received the new Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens. Took it for a test run and shot about 40 photos. Everything seemed good. Purchased a clear lens filter and installed it. During installation of the filter, I noticed inside the lens that the components seemed to be floating and rattling around. Not just a little bit, like 1/4" or more, while the lens was off the camera. Re-installed the lens on the camera (EOS-R) and attempted to "re-park" the IS, but nothing seemed to change after I took the lens off. The same interior movement with the insides banging around. Is this normal? I can't imaging this is good for wear and tear on the lens. The insides will be banging around just while walking down the street. Anyone else notice this? Or is my lens defective? Just never had this happen before with a lens. Thanks.

31 REPLIES 31

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The mirrorless bodies have an option to retract the lens on power down.  Some DSLRs have it, too, but all Canon mirrorless bodies seem to have it.  Also, documentation says you should power down the cameras prior to changing lenses, particularly with lenses that have IS because IS is always active.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Pretty much understand what you are saying, but that's not it.  The only time the floating parts stop floating is when the lens is on the camera and the camera is powered on.  I have never seen this kind of IS movement in a lens before.  It literally bangs against the interior lens side walls when "jiggled" a bit.  Maybe it's normal, i just want to make sure..... these lens are not cheap.  

@hoot24 wrote:

Pretty much understand what you are saying, but that's not it.  The only time the floating parts stop floating is when the lens is on the camera and the camera is powered on.  I have never seen this kind of IS movement in a lens before.  It literally bangs against the interior lens side walls when "jiggled" a bit.  Maybe it's normal, i just want to make sure..... these lens are not cheap.  

Of course, you should contact Canon.  The R5 and R6 have been know to rattle with power turned off.

I think some lenses seem like they need to be "parked" for lack of a better term.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I did call Canon and they sugguested I try the "parking" routine.  Did not work.  Components continued to rattle around when the lens is on or off camera.  The Canon rep was very helpful though as they actually had a copy of this same lens in front of them when I spoke with them.  The rep's response was, "yeah that really does move around a lot".  So at this point I am still not certain about whether or not this "floating" that I am seeing is expected or not from this lens.  

I have no idea what is normal but you have a year to find out.  Make sure you register it.  Use it as you normaly would and don't worry, for a year anyway. In the tenth or eleventh month have a C&C done on it by Canon.

BTW, I do hope you got a filter equal to the level of the lens? If not check out B+W protecto filters.  They will not interfere with the IQ ro AF ability of the lens, others might!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yep, registered it right away.  And good point, i will just use the lens and keep an eye on it for 9 months or so. 

And yes, B+W filters for me.  

The C&C later on will cost you a little, but on such an expensive lens it will be worth it and give you peace of mind. Now go enjoy it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

hoot24
Contributor

Follow up from Canon support:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for writing to us. My name is Exxx and I understand you have questions about the RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM lens and I can assist. It is normal for the components inside the lens to move around. The image stabilization in this lens does not have a "parked" mode. The RF mount lenses use a more advanced image stabilization from the EF lenses. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.  Thank you for choosing Canon.

So there you have it..... Canon says it's "normal".  Welp, I sure hope so.  

timjd
Contributor

Hi Hoot, I had the exact same question/concern and just noticed it over the weekend.   Spent some time with Canon support (phone) this morning and didn't really get any clarity.    I've owned many EF lenses and also the RF 24-105......none of them have had this much wobble/play in them (including those with IS).   It seems odd, but at the same time when attached to the camera, and powered on, that internal component seems to firm up.   So I guess while out hiking around you just have to leave the camera on, or accept that it is going to wobble.   For a $2500 lens this seems like a significant flaw.

I prepared this graphic/image to help illustrate, but oddly Canon support can't accept an photo while on the phone.    The yellow line highlights the element that is wobbling, and the red circle the fixed portion it should be concentric too (or reasonably concentric).

Would love for a lens expert to confirm whether this is normal or a warranty item.

2021-01-18_08-26-24.jpg

Announcements