cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-500mm + Close-up Lens?

Davoud
Enthusiast

Do you suppose that the RF 100-500 will be able to take advantage of the 77mm Close-up Lens 500D?

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It can, but do you want to? A macro lens is soooo much better.

It can, but do you want to? A macro lens is soooo much better.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Yes, of course. I have four Canon macros, but I note that there isn't a "real" (1:1) macro available for the R series. Both the 35mm and the 85mm are a bit short and require the lens to be close to the subject to get full .5x magnification. That's problematic for me, as much of my work is with skittish creatures in vivo, and benefits from working distance. I was thinking that the 100-500 might be a reasonable compromise, but considering its extra weight, perhaps not. Looks like I'll be using my EF 100mm and 180mm macros for field work with my new R5.

"I have four Canon macros, but I note that there isn't a "real" (1:1) macro available for the R series."

There will be.  A true macro lens is a specialized lens usually a prime.  They are designed differently than normal lenses. And way different than a zoom lens. As a lens is able to focus closer things in light change. A real macro lens has elements that correct for this.

The best macro lens I ever used but did not own is the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Lens. It's a fantastic lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Just playing "devil's advocate" .... If you have 4 Canon macro lenses already why not just purchase the EF-RF adapter and use one of them?
I do not understand Canon releasing the 35 and 85 lenses and calling them "macro" with a 1:2 factor?

Also have to agree that the Canon 180mm macro is one the best Canon ever made! If only they would make it in an IS model

Bob Howdeshell
Life has an expiration date
Canon R3, Canon R5 (2), several Canon lenses and a couple of Sigma lenses

"I do not understand Canon releasing the 35 and 85 lenses and calling them "macro" with a 1:2 factor?"

This was undoubtedly the idea of the advertising department.  Not the design engineers. Somebody probably noticed it could focus a tiny bit closer than other lenses of its type. And, the ad guy said, "Ah a macro lens!"  "Put that on the label."

Keep in mind most lenses are not the exact FL they claim either.  A 70-200mm zoom may actually be a 72-198mm when exacting measurements are made. But the ad guy says, "Close enough! A 70-200mm lens."   It even happens with r-ratio, too.  Not all f4 lenses are exactly f4 but close enough as an example not picking on f4 lenses.

EB

@bobhowdy: If you have 4 Canon macro lenses already why not just purchase the EF-RF adapter and use one of them?

Done. I bought a couple of EF-RF adapters when I bought my EOS RP at release time. I have used on it all of my EF macros: 65mm 1-5x, 100mm, and 180mm, and I have the RF-mount 35mm macro. The latter is a very good lens at a very low price, and in most photos one would not know that it does only .5x, as in this photo. But I still look forward to some 1:1 RF macro lenses.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...take advantage of the 77mm Close-up Lens..."

You are talking bout the add-on, screw-on filter type close up lens? If, yes, it is not just a bad idea it is a horrible idea.

EB

@Davoud wrote:

Do you suppose that the RF 100-500 will be able to take advantage of the 77mm Close-up Lens 500D?

I know this is a fairly old post, but just wanted to give a little info

My wife has used quality closeup lenses / filters in the past with her EOS A-1 and various lenses when she was shooting 35mm film, and frankly, I was never impressed. However, when I don't have a macro lens handy, I've been able to get some great closups with my 100-400mm L II and I'm assuming the RF 100-500 is just as capable. Both will close focus to 3.2', IIRC. I can only imagine that your 100-500 wil do better, or at least allow you to crop macro, or better, like my 100-400mm L. No, these lenses aren't 1:1 macro, but you can crop to that, particularly using my 5D mark IV (resolution is amazing).

Here is an example of a closeup with the EOS 5D mark IV and the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM II. I posted several closeups a while back in a thread that I created. The fly is maxed out, zoom/crop wise, but the butterfly could have been made a lot larger, it just wasn't what I was going for Smiley Happy

ISO 640, Tv 1/640, f/9, FL 321mm

White Peacock Butterfly

ISO 1000, Tv 1/1000, f/8, 400mm. This Green bot fly is very tiny. Those berries are just a bit bigger than BB's.

Green Bottle Fly

No, they aren't macro quality, but for sure "closeups", LOL!

FD

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@Davoud wrote:

...Here is an example of a closeup with the EOS 5D mark IV and the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM II....

...No, they aren't macro quality, but for sure "closeups", LOL!...

Excellent quality, as good as many "real macros" I have seen. Thanks for posting!

Announcements