cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R series cameras

gwillumbury1
Apprentice

Are the existing lenses and l lenses going to be able to be used on the new R series camera bodies? Or does everyone have to now switch to new lenses if they want an R series camera body.

24 REPLIES 24

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Canon makes some adapters that will allow the use of EF and EF-S lenses. Since the adapter just has to add the space that the mirror box required, there is no glass and they work very well. Some even add control rings so you can control camera parameters by twisting a ring on the lens.

An adapter is still an adapter. It "adapts" something that isn't designed to work with a camera, to work with that camera.  I have never liked them and I still don't like them.  If nothing else, it is just another piece or step one must go through that isn't necessary if the correct lens is used to begin with. One more object to keep track of and carry.  One of the same reasons I don't like or use tel-cons much.

I use the Ed Mika adapter for FD to EF. It works but it is still an adapter. However it mounts permanently to the FD lens so to me it is acceptable.

You like'em fine. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

While there are some electronics there, most obviously in the ones with the control ring, it is actually more of a "spacer" than an adapter. And the camera is specifically designed to work with it, even providing distortion correction for EF and EF-S lenses. So, it is not the case that it is "something that isn't designed to work with a camera", since it is all Canon equipment.

You might as well say that an EF lens purchased in 2000 was "not designed" to work with a 1Dx Mark III.

"You might as well say that an EF lens purchased in 2000 was "not designed" to work with a 1Dx Mark III."

I might but I doubt it.  Nah, come to think of i wouldn't say it at all.  It adapts a lens that will not work on a certain camera without it.  That is an adapter.  It is another part I have to buy. Keep track of it.  Store it.  Attach it and remove it. Can't sugar coat it.

EB

Good point Ernie and I remember years ago doing a google search on 100% crop and quickly concluding there were a lot of people who "knew" how to do 100% crops but there was a lot of disagreement among these experts over the definition.

In the future I will just specify the pixel dimensions selected when creating the crop in DPP so that nobody has to do the math based upon different camera sensor sizes.  For cases like this I create the output file with the same pixel dimensions as the crop instead of down sampling.

And to avoid highjacking this thread, I know that you have a LOT of experience going back to the film days.  Did you ever use the EF-135 F2.8 "soft focus" lens?  If so please PM me with your thoughts.  An old friend had one he bought near the end of the film era and it was still in its box and virtually unused for $25 and it is on the way here as an experimental toy.  I know that the basic effect can be created in PS but it will be interesting to see how this was done old school using optical manipulation.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@ebiggs1 wrote:

An adapter is still an adapter. It "adapts" something that isn't designed to work with....

I use the Ed Mika adapter for FD to EF. It works but it is still an adapter. However it mounts permanently to the FD lens so to me it is acceptable.

You like'em fine. Smiley Happy

In my mind, there are different categories of adapters.  Teleconverters and macro tubes fall into their own sub-categories.  

Your Ed Mika adapter I would categorize as a lens adapter, which is borne out by the fact that it stays attached to the lens.  One typically buys an adapter for every lens what they wish to adapt.  Some may contain optics, and many do not.

The EF-EOS R adapter is one I would categorize as a mount adapter.  Like it's cousin for EF-M bodies, it stays mounted on the camera body.  You do not need to buy one for every lens.  They also contain a lens release button, something which many lens adapters do not have.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hardings
Apprentice

Canon’s full-frame EOS R system may be less than a year old paygoonline, but we’ve already gotten a good glimpse at the breadth it will cover 

@Hardings wrote:

Canon’s full-frame EOS R system may be less than a year old, but we’ve already gotten a good glimpse at the breadth it will cover. 

I guess it's a fair assessment, from what we now think we know, that the R5 begins the next generation of the "5" series.

Left open to speculation is whether there will be a mirrorless equivalent of the "1" series. Or will there simply be a battery grip that effectively turns the R5 int an "R1"? After all, it appears that the main feature that the R5 needs, but may not yet have, is a more powerful battery.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert a 5 series is not and will never be a 1 series no matter how many or what kind of battery grip you put on it.

There is no doubt in my mind the 1DX Mk III is likely the last 1 series as we know it but the next or new 1 series camera isn't a modified 5. It will be a full on, no doubt, 1 series camera all the way.

EB
Announcements