cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding FD lenses on modern cameras.

alecdavis47
Apprentice

I recently got a Gobe FD to EOS adapter for my Canon T7i so that I can use my Uncle's FD lenses he's had in storage. One of the lenses is a 50mm f/1.8. No matter my shutter speed or ISO, when I open the aperture to f/1.8, any light source causes a soft glow to my images. I realize that by using FD lenses, I'll have softer images, but I was curious if this was an issue with the lens or my adapter seeing as it does not do this when my aperture is f/2.8 or higher? Or is this a common issue with fast FD lenses on newer bodies?

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I suggest you post an image, it sounds like really bad chromatic aberration.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

That is typical of those cheap FD to EF adapters that need an optical correction element in order to maintain infinity focus. The corrective optics cause very bad image quality when you shoot wide open, and are barely adequate when stopped down. 

If you want to use your uncle's FD lenses just buy any brand Mirrorless camera and then you can use a simple adapter that doesn't require corrective optics. You will then get the best possible images, but keep in mind that these older lenses still need to be stopped down a little for optimum results.

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"You will then get the best possible images,..."

Even the "best possible" will not be as good as the standard kit lens that sells with the T7i.  The best advice is to let the past stay in the past.  Let history sleep. Don't waste any more money on it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements