cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Between the 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM & the 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM

F1P
Apprentice

Hello, I am looking into buying a 16-35mm lens but I an not sure how much of a difference there is between the L USM & the L II USM.  Does anyone have any suggestions, comments or advice?  I am looking at 2 used ones and I am not sure how much the price difference between the two matters.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello F1P, 

The original EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM is no longer in service life, which means that if you had to send in for repairs that are in excess of a cleaning, Canon would not be able to service it.  The service life expired in December 2013. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

I have the original 16-35 f/2.8L and it is one of my favourite lenses. I am currently using it to shoot motorcycle trials, where I can get in real close to the action and use the wide angle to impart a really dramatic look, albeit at the risk of being flattened ...

It's hard for me to believe that the later versions produce better pictures unless you're printing large format, which I don't. The colour rendition, sharpness and reliability are bloody fantastic, to be honest.

I shoot each event with the 16-35, a 24-105 and a 70-200, all f/2.8 versions. I occasionally use a 1.4x TC with the long zoom. I generally start off with the 24-105 until I know my way around the sections, which are varied and usually dispersed within a forest. I then switch between the 16-35 and 70-200 and, when I'm processing the results, I really look forward to seeing the shots taken with the latter two lenses.

Where did you find an f/2.8 version of the 24-105?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFatwrote:

Where did you find an f/2.8 version of the 24-105?

I didn't. Another careless typo. Blame the grape juice.

Announcements