cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Between the 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM & the 16-35mm f/2.8 L USM

F1P
Apprentice

Hello, I am looking into buying a 16-35mm lens but I an not sure how much of a difference there is between the L USM & the L II USM.  Does anyone have any suggestions, comments or advice?  I am looking at 2 used ones and I am not sure how much the price difference between the two matters.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello F1P, 

The original EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM is no longer in service life, which means that if you had to send in for repairs that are in excess of a cleaning, Canon would not be able to service it.  The service life expired in December 2013. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

ScottyP
Authority

The current one is the mk.III.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

The version II came out in 2007 and the version I came out in 2000. The Review sites people generally consult will tell you folks were a bit disappointed there was not more improvements between I and II.  I just reread the "discontinued lenses" section at ___________ and confirmed that.  I think if you can get a significantly better deal on version I than on version II you wouldn't be missing a lot, based on the reviews. 

I've not used the first two versions but I have version III and it is really awesome. I had to totally relearn composition, perspective and choice of subject getting into a wide angle lens but now it is probably tied as my favorite lens, and the shots it gives really stand out from all my other shots (when I get it right).  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

I sent you a message. 

Scott

F1P
Apprentice
Yes, I saw that there is an L III version but it’s beyond my price range

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Each one is very good.  The newer ones are just a tad bit better.   I have 2 and I had 1 very nice lenses.  You'll be happy with either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1wrote:

Each one is very good.  The newer ones are just a tad bit better.   I have 2 and I had 1 very nice lenses.  You'll be happy with either.

The 16-35mm f/4L IS USM is also very good. Not as good an indoor lens as the various versions of the f/2.8, obviously, but I rarely use a WA lens indoors.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have the v2.  16mm and wide open is good.  Nice sharp landscapes.  Just gets better from there.  I didn't see the need for a v3.  While Canon does make refinements between the versions, I don't think the v3 is needed unless you are earning a living with your camera.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

" I didn't see the need for a v3."

Well there is always room for improvement but you certainly have a valid point.  If your current gear is meeting YOUR requirements, that is all that is necessary.  How good is good?  You be the judge.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tim
Authority

Hello F1P, 

The original EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM is no longer in service life, which means that if you had to send in for repairs that are in excess of a cleaning, Canon would not be able to service it.  The service life expired in December 2013. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements