cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose of SA Control for Macro?

rorecoko
Apprentice
Hi,
I've been watching the early reviews of the RF 100mm f/2.8L lens with interest, as I am greatly looking forward to having a native 1:1 (or better!) macro option on the R5.
All the demos that I have seen of the SA control feature have results where the subject becomes blurred, which is sort of the opposite of what I typically go for with macro, where I am trying to see really fine details.
Is there any benefit of SA control at all to enhance detailed macro photography? If so, what is the benefit?
Or is this feature really primarily for the people who will be using the macro lens for portraits?
My initial impression is that releasing this lens as a dedicated macro without SA could have allowed it to be a bit lighter/smaller/cheaper, which I would have preferred. But, since this feature was added to the lens, is there any benefit to it that I can look forward to for macro?

2 REPLIES 2

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Nope.

Ken Rockwell says that if you don't need to go more than 1:1, you might as well get the EF 100mm macro.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/lenses/100mm-macro.htm

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I can't answer your question about the SA Control for Macro since I have not used it . But I know, personally, I would wait for the R version if I already had an R camera. I see no sense in buying any new or more EF lenses. You moved to mirrorless so,  IMHO, you need to stay mirrorless.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements