cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with two different Canon 85mm f/1.8 Lenses

shawnhopkins
Apprentice

A while back I was having intermittent problems just on a Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM lens. All my other lenses work fine. Sporadically I would get, "Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the contacts". It seemed humidity played a part but I could never consistently reproduce the problem. I wound up buying a second 85mm brand new. Now, as of today, this lens is having the same problem, but all the time. My F-stop is 00 so I know there's something not right. The contacts look clean. Like I said it's only on these 85mm lenses. I did try using a soft cloth to wipe the contacts, nothing abrasive, but no luck. Any thoughts are appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I wound up buying a second 85mm brand new."

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666.  If it is brand new and it is from a real Canon USA dealer, Canon will get it right. If you are buying grey .......... well you'er on your own.

BTW, it is unlikely the contacts (other lenses work OK) but if you must clean them use a q-tip and denatured alcohol. Nothing else!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

@Plankowner110 wrote:
Thank you. I will pass on the 85mm lens.
Plankowner110
D6, 35mm f2 IS USM, 50mm f1,8 STM

That is the start of a pretty decent FF camera kit.  I own the same gear.  Those two lenses are true gems for their costs.  I would recommend saving up a little more and buying a constant f/4 aperture, zoom “L” lens next.  

I recommend going wider or longer.  You can do either for under $1000.  You could get either an EF 17-40mm f/4L IS USM zoom,  which is currently selling for $300 off.  Or, you could get the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM zoom, which is also on sale this weekend.  Another choice is the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM.

Or, save up even more for one of the f/2.8 constant aperture zooms in the same ranges.  I think one of the most versatile lenses I own is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM zoom lens, which has been recently superseded by a Mark III model.

4E2133BB-7452-4F5A-AC8D-FA0371FD22D0.jpeg

I believe that the above photo was shot at 100mm f/5.6, using the 70-200mm lens.  The camera body was a 6D Mark II.  I used Continuous Drive mode, and AI Servo with all AF points active.

Canon’s L lenses will take your photography to a whole new level, most especially if you can get your hands on one of the f/2.8 zooms or primes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements