cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with two different Canon 85mm f/1.8 Lenses

shawnhopkins
Apprentice

A while back I was having intermittent problems just on a Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM lens. All my other lenses work fine. Sporadically I would get, "Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the contacts". It seemed humidity played a part but I could never consistently reproduce the problem. I wound up buying a second 85mm brand new. Now, as of today, this lens is having the same problem, but all the time. My F-stop is 00 so I know there's something not right. The contacts look clean. Like I said it's only on these 85mm lenses. I did try using a soft cloth to wipe the contacts, nothing abrasive, but no luck. Any thoughts are appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I wound up buying a second 85mm brand new."

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666.  If it is brand new and it is from a real Canon USA dealer, Canon will get it right. If you are buying grey .......... well you'er on your own.

BTW, it is unlikely the contacts (other lenses work OK) but if you must clean them use a q-tip and denatured alcohol. Nothing else!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

"Nothing appears to be wrong with the contacts."

It rarely, very rarely, is!  Please let us know how it turns out.

EB

It would seem to me that Canon would have data base of serial numbers corresponding to this issue with error message regarding cleaning contacts. I have read about this issue in other forums, so it is not a unknown or infrequent occurence. I'm sure Canon will not share what they know about any manufacturing defect, but I intend to press this issue when I talk to them on Monday. I will go in with positive vibes, and they may just be resigned to replacing this lens at no charge. I have been a Canon user for many, many years, and have had only "tune-up" maintenance done with some gear, in which I have had complete satisfaction with their costs and prompt return of my gear. I'll follow-up here with the results of my negotiations.  Currently, it has "cost" me $149 on my credit card to request and send in for service. Hope to get that refunded.

The response from Canon Service is that there is "no Service Advisory for this lens". I'm out of luck to get it repaired for no cost_ I figured that would be a long shot. When I get it back, I will use it to make sure all functions are satisfactory. I like this lens for shooting indoor sports in poorly lit gyms, particularly volleyball. The picture quality is on par with my 70-200 f/2.8 II for this purpose, and it's 2/3 stop faster, and more hand holdable. I heavily crop final pictures and have been pleased with results. Let the testing begin.

Service and repair has been completed, and I have received the repaired lens.

The Service Details: "...it was found that the power diaphragm assembly was broken causing an error to be displayed from time to time. The power diaphragm was replaced. The product functions were confirmed."

I have no knowledge how or why this part broke, and it is not a lens that I heavily use, but I have done some test shots, and it appears that it actually locks on focus faster than what I remember before the repair, so that's all good. Canon Service turnaround time was very good, as it took only 5 days from the time it was sent in until is was returned back to me. That is based on me living in Norcal and the repairs done in Socal. Hopefully, this issue is closed for me.

My issue with this, is that it is happening just on the 85mm f/1.8 lens. I have other lenses that don't do this. I got a similar response from Canon, but am taking additional steps. If they stand behind their gear, then this problem should not happen just on a specific lens.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I am considering the purchase of an EF 85mm f/1.8 USm because they are on sale. Is the broken power diaphragm (whatever that is) a common problem with this lens model? I've been reading countless customer reviews and this is the first time I've heard of this defect. Cautious buyer!

Plankowner110
6D

@Plankowner110 wrote:

I am considering the purchase of an EF 85mm f/1.8 USm because they are on sale. Is the broken power diaphragm (whatever that is) a common problem with this lens model? I've been reading countless customer reviews and this is the first time I've heard of this defect. Cautious buyer!

I could not say one way or the other.  But, I will say that I am not a fan of this lens.  The lens hood is a complete joke.  It does not even lock into place.  I had initially thought that I was sent a third party hood by mistake.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" Is the broken power diaphragm ... a common problem with this lens model?"

Even if it is, it isn't a very expensive part. $50 bucks or so, I guess, maybe less. It is a pretty old design so it has been well tested in the field so I would not worry about it.

The thing you should be asking is, what are you going to do with an 85mil?  It is a very limited use and specialized lens.  It really does just one job well.  Portraits. If you are not into portraits I would not buy an 85mm lens.

It is not a "my first lens" or even "my second lens" choice.  So what other lenses do you have?

EB

A little further advice when considering the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens.  Do you already own the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III or II USM Lens?  If not this is the lens you want.  Save the albeit small amount of money put towards the 85mil to help fund or to save for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens.

In most of the professional world of portrait photography the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens has superseded the 85mm as the lens of choice.  After all it includes the desirable 85mm FL.  Myself included even though I own the absolutely beautiful EF 85mm f1.2L. Occasionally I use my 85mm f1.2 but it is for the f1.2 not the 85mm.

Don't buy any lens just because it is cheap or on sale.  These are poor reasons to do so.

EB

Thank you. I will pass on the 85mm lens.
Plankowner110
D6, 35mm f2 IS USM, 50mm f1,8 STM
Plankowner110
6D
Announcements