cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with my 15-45mm Lens on my EOS M50

Niall
Contributor

Hi everyone, 

So I know it's the lens because I tried another lens and it worked perfectly. 

So I'll run it through OBS and every 5-10 seconds(approx), the image will freeze for a few seconds, then continue like normal. Just before the video feed unfreezes, the camera itself(or the lens, I'm not sure) will faintly click once or twice. 

Any help on fixing the issue would be amazing because to be honest, I can't afford to repair or replace the lens.\

Sincerely,

Niall

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Niall...

OBS?  >> Open Broadcaster Software?  Best guess?

"So I know it's the lens because I tried another lens and it worked perfectly" - ok

"unfreezes, the camera itself(or the lens, I'm not sure) "  - Is the "noise" coming from the camera or the lens...  we cannot be sure either?  Sometimes people hear noise or clicking and assume something is broken or wrong.  In some cases, this is the lens focusing or adjusting aperture.  I can't hear it, so this is speculation.  We don't have any history on your equipment, new, used, etc.    

The OBS software is 3rd party.  It might not work in every hardware senario.  

If your lens works normally, it might be fine. I think you should test the lens under normal use, then determine where the problem is.  Lens, software, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Let's forget about OBS for the moment.  Do the camera and lens work properly shooting outdoor photos on a bright sunny day?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Let's forget about OBS for the moment.  Do the camera and lens work properly shooting outdoor photos on a bright sunny day?

Precisely

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm not sure, I'll do some tests here and get back to you on it. I'll also try determine where exactly the sound is coming from. Thanks for both of your replies by the way! 🙂

Ok so I tested taking a video in my apartment(it's 2am here therefore no sunny day lol) and it records perfectly. When in OBS I it would still freeze but I put my ear right up to the glass of the lens(kidding! I put it to the side of the lens) and it seems that the sound is coming from where the lens meets the camera and this time it wasn't a click but like a very very low cranking sound. I apologize for the absolutely terrible lack of knowledge at the moment, I am trying to learn all of this.

It sounds like the camera and lens are working as they should.  But, it does not work the way you expect with OBS.  This means that you have an OBS problem, not a Canon problem.  Your camera gear actually works as it should.

I suggest that you find an OBS forum and ask your questions there.  You should get more responses, and better informed responses, than what you will here in a Canon forum.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements