cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with EF-S 17-85 and EOS Rebel T5i

samchitsaz
Apprentice

Hello everyone;

I've purchased an EOS Rebel T5i body to use with my EF-S 17-85 lens. Unfortubately, the autofocus function of the lens does not work well whatsoever. It goes back and forth and eventually gives me an image totally out of focus. Sometimes it cannot even come up with a final focus point and capture the image. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You are going to have to have another lens and another body to see which has the problem. You need to confirm that one or the other is working correctly.

But first set all the settings in the T5i back to factory (menu selection) and try the lens again.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Dear ebiggs1;

My Lens was working well with my previous body, EOS 400D.

I've had this new EOS 700D for only a few weeks and its other functions are working great. I reset the facroty settings and still have the problem.

Is there any other solutions?

Thank you.

You might want to try cleaning the electronic contacts on the rear of the lens.... Just use a clean cloth, slightly dampened with a little isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, widely available and cheap). Wipe the contacts to be sure they are clean of any oils. It can happen with a new camera, that there are lubricating or finger oils on the contacts, which can interrupt the communication between camera and lens.

Also check the corresponding contact pins just inside the front of the camera. They are spring loaded. Look to see if any are stuck and not returning to their normal position when the lens is off the camera. Also check that they are clean.

Be careful to not touch the lens optics and the mirror in the camera.

Other than that, study up on the AF system in the T5i/700D. It's different than was in your older camera. You might have something set incorrectly or just unaccustomed to it's greater sensitivity. Try selecting a single AF point... usually just the center one is best... then test focusing with that on a nice, contrasty subject in good light. Avoid testing in fluorescent lighting, in particular, which can fool AF, white balance and metering systems.

Best way to tell if it's a problem with the camera or the lens is to try the camera with another lens. Then, if it does the same with a different lens, it is most likely the camera. If a different lens works fine, then there's likely a problem with your lens.

It could be a fault with the new camera. Another thing you mightdo is go to a store and test out another copy of the camera with your lens. This could confirm whether or not the camera is at fault. If so, if you just got it you might be able to exchange it, depending upon the seller's policies. Otherwise, you should have a 1 year Canon warranty.    

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

"I reset the facroty settings and still have the problem."  Good Smiley Happy

You need another lens to clear the camera of being faulty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements