cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porplem with 70-200 2.8 II after repair

ahmedbasha
Contributor

In first my lens 70-200 2.8 II was had fall accident , The stabilizer has been affected , the photo was Jumping .
i sent it to repair shop and they fixed the problem and return it to me but the lens des'nt working well .

i hav probleam in focus and the image not clear , Focusing is good in small areas only, while the rest of the frame is out of focus , It's like a slow shutter speed but the was shutter is very fast speed.

sample :

IMG_49683.jpg

117335793_756331571836210_1496364089131286461_n.jpg

IMG_49200122.jpg

IMG_49200.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I looked at the EXIF data for the last two and you are shooting them with the aperture wide open at 142MM focal length and fairly close to the scene so your depth of field is shallow.  I assume the focus point is on the young boy in these two photos.

How does a similar scene look using the same subject distance and focal length but stepping the lens down to f5.6 or f6.3 to increase the DoF?

I shoot with fast lenses wide open because I do a lot of sports shooting and fortunately the shallow DoF is often desirable to make the subject "pop" because using a fast lens in often poor lighting means that you are going to have shallow DoF whether or not you want it.  With stationary subjects in a well lit marketplace or similar you have a lot more creative control over DoF without running into issues with motion blur and/or noise.

You could greatly reduce shutter speed for this, even without IS on, 1/250 or 1/500 is very usable and the only reason to use a very fast shutter speed in this situation would be to allow the use of the F2.8 wide open aperture while getting a "standard exposure" in order to get the very shallow depth of field you have in those images.  When using fast shutter speed in sports, I rarely go above 1/1600 and that is primarily to get a standard exposure with my f2.8 or f2 primes and I never turn on IS at those shutter speeds as it simply wastes battery power and creates unnecessary wear to the IS system.

And on edit, here is a recent image from my daughter's soccer training session shot with a 70-200 f2.8 stepped down to f5 and shot with a 1DX III.  It was shot at 200MM at close distance and this is an uncropped image, just down sampled to fit the forum size requirements, and you can see how shallow the DoF is at F5 with this focal length and distance to the subjects with very little being within critical focus.

Rodger

AS0I0073.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

One of two things possible.

1st is you had it repaired at a non-Canon authorized shop.

2nd is user error.

My gut guess is user error.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes , i repaired at a non-Canon authorized shop because we are in yemen don't have canon shop .
did you know the main problem ?

I am not convinced that the problem is your lens.  Go back to where you took the last two photos you posted.  Set your camera to:

Auto ISO

One shot AF

Manual exposure with aperture set to f7.1 and shutter speed to 1/400

Try taking the photo again.  With the aperture you had selected for those posted photos and the 142mm focal length that you were "zoomed" to, if you were 10 meters away from the subject you total depth of field was under 800 millimeters.  By changing to f7.1, your depth of field will increase to over 2 meters and much more of the scene will be within critical focus.

If you want the entire scene in critical focus you will need to do a combination of setting your lens to a wider angle (nearer the 70mm end), stepping further from the scene of interest, and/or adjusting the aperture to a higher number which narrows the aperture opening.

Although it is preferable to have repairs done at a Canon shop, that isn't always possible depending upon your location and also the age of the lens.  A good independent shop CAN be very capable of doing quality service work and due to the lack of parts and cost of labor in parts of the world, a lens that is considered unfeasible to repair by Canon may be repairable by a local shop.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"2nd is user error."

Number 2 requires you to learn your camera and a bit about photography. Not just a summary glance at a Youtube vid.

Do as Rodger suggests and you will likely see the lens is OK but I would much rather you send it to a real Canon service center.  Even if you have to ship it, do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements