cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please make recommendation for ~300mm lens ... And a general lens for a 70D

Maria
Enthusiast

I have a new 24-70mm f2.8 and want something to compliment it for the longer distances. I'm thinking something between 250-400 would be good but not sure which one(s) are 'better'. This would mostly be used for indoor/stage shooting with some outdoor of kids plays, concerts or playing etc. maybe something in the 55-300 range?

I also have a new 70D (just took it out of the box) ;). So also looking for a recommendation on a USM to use with it for video - something mid range that would be good for most situations.

All input welcome!

26 REPLIES 26

Maria
Enthusiast

Should have mentioned that i have a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 - i like the range but do not find it very sharp thus looking for something else ...

Wondering what folks recommend?

And also what the preference is betweeen the 70-200 f/4L vs the 70-300 f/4-5.6L??? I believe they are close in price.... is one sharper than the other? Are any of the other brands worth looking at in this range?

Oh and i had said "USM" but meant "STM" for video on the 70D - the super quiet ones good for video...

If you're thinking high quality zoom both the 70-200 L's and 70-300 L IS are worthy contenders. I haven't used the 70-300 but have read a lot of very good reviews praising it's AF speed & image quality. The one weak spot may be that it's not fast enough for some indoor stuff.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for quick reply! Really appreciate it!

Will have the check the price locally for them and the weight - that is really my only concern - i can't lug around heavy lenses ;( wish i could but my neck and back won't allow it ;(

The faster the better 😉 and also why i'm open to other brands - to hopefully lower the cost.... can't afford another expensive one after the 24-70 f/2.8L !!  😉

What about the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens?  Doesn't get me to 300 but a lot cheaper! From what i read it is pretty sharp??  obviously not as nice as an L 😉

Can't comment on it from use but I've read both good & bad. From what I've read the only other serious contender may be the Tamron 70-300 VC.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I will warn you that there is a learning curve to shooting longer lenses, so as you pass 200 mm things need to be done more carefully re shutter speeds & keeping things steady, and with you using a crop body it's even more important to develop good technique.

Oh, BTW, that same lens is available in a crop sensor "DC" version as the 50-150mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM.

But since you indicated you wanted a little more reach, 300mm, the 70-200mm version will yield an equivalent 320mm on your camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You had warned me about that hadn't you? 😉 thanks for the cheaper suggestion - will check it out.

Speaking of 'sharp' I'm struggling with the 24-70 - pics are not sharp and not sure why ;( going to post as a seperate thread ... I'm sure it's me and not it! 😉

"...  pics are not sharp and not sure why ..."

You are talking the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 II L?  This lens is scary sharp!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements