cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please make recommendation for ~300mm lens ... And a general lens for a 70D

Maria
Enthusiast

I have a new 24-70mm f2.8 and want something to compliment it for the longer distances. I'm thinking something between 250-400 would be good but not sure which one(s) are 'better'. This would mostly be used for indoor/stage shooting with some outdoor of kids plays, concerts or playing etc. maybe something in the 55-300 range?

I also have a new 70D (just took it out of the box) ;). So also looking for a recommendation on a USM to use with it for video - something mid range that would be good for most situations.

All input welcome!

26 REPLIES 26

"I know the 24-70 is made for full frame ..."

This has nothing to do with it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Maria this is a problem!....."...  can't afford another expensive one after the 24-70 f/2.8L !!"

There is not going to be a huge assortment of lenses that come in the quality and sharpness of this lens. You got the best first, kido. Now, if you are going to put something with it just as good, it is going to cost large. And likely be heavy but the

24-70mm f2.8 is no featherweight! I rarely recommend a lens not in the Canon stable but, lately, I have come to see there are a few off-brand lenses that do come close to Canon performance at a much lower price.  Smiley Happy

My top choice right now, for you, is the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM. It is around the same weight as your 24-70mm and is much less expensive. The best part is, it is very sharp.

I own this lens and can testify to it's superb performance. It is a best buy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Dun1
Contributor

If you goal is to shoot indoor stage events, the 70-200 mm 2.8 is a quality lens should give you the ability to take great sharp photos.  If you budget is limited and you still yearn for a longer lens or true 300 mm, or beyond, you might take a look at the Canon 100-400 lens, it is a different lens from the 70-200 lens in that you slide to move from 100 to increase the zoom to the far end 400.  The drawback of the 100-400 is the 4.5-5.6 lens so unless you increase the ISO setting up the scale getting quality images at full or close to zoom might be difficult.

You can also check at KEH, at www.keh.com, they are a large reputable seller of used equipment.  I have purchased equipment from them and I have also sold used equipment to them with great results.

Thank you for the responses!

Yes i was referring to the 24-70 f/2.8.... the images are not sharp ;( that is what i'm confused about.... but again likely me not the lens...  i'll take some test shots later and post as a seperate thread. by that i mean that if i take a shot and then zoom in on it to see the detail (while still on camera) it's not sharp....

As far as the 100-400 goes i like the range!! will include it on my list to look at 😉

i have a cropped sensor camera so i believe the 70-200 would give me about 300 reach would it not since i think it is made for a full frame camera? 

Harv
Contributor

Hi, Maria.

I have owned and used the 24-70 f/2.8L (Ver.1) for several years.  Unlike the Ver.2 of this lens, the Ver.1 is NOT sharp when used wide open at f/2.8 and is actually quite soft.  I checked the EXIF dagta on your images and they all show shot at f/2.8 so I'm not surprised at your results.  It gets better when stopped down to f/4 and becomes excellent when stopped down to f/5.6.  The newer Ver.2 is much better, but I was not about to put out over $1,000 to make the upgrade as I use the lens primarlily for people or landscape and am stopping it down any way.  I learned to NEVER shoot that lens wide open.

For the record, I use it on 2 bodies with the same results.... a 1D Mark IV and a 5D Mark III.

As for the 70-200, I have owned and used every version Canon has made.  In fact, the latest 70-200 f/2.8L IS Ver. II is much, much sharper than the previous version.  It's a lens I normally shoot wide open and it's tack sharp.  Best zoom lens made..... period.  By anyone.  It's the Gold Standard of zoom lenses.  Best money I have ever spent on an upgrade.

Here are a couple of links to reviews on the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.....

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/510-canon_70200_2is28

I hope this helps.

Harvey

Harv
Contributor

I should also mention that I have owned the 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS lens.  It was super sharp but too slow for my needs. 

Hello 😉

Mine is the f2.8L II ....purchased in late Sept....just tested with a second body and results are about the same but the second body (T1i) needed to go up to 1/4000 to focus - very bright outside today 😉  going to retest using f/4 but .... the reason i purchased this lens and put out $2k for it was so that i could take better shots in lower light - i take 90% of my shots indoors in low light (typical living room lighting) ... everything i had read up to the purchase said that it was a sharp lens and that it did well in low light.... I know that most lenses to better by stepping one f stop but didn't realize it would be this off/soft at 2.8 ;(  i posted my test shots in the other thread .... going to retest now using f/4 on both bodies to see what happens.

I have until Jan 4th to return the 70d body (or exchange) so just need to figure out where the problem is ....

Announcements