cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Owners of 70-200mm L IS II - lens body movement when connected to camera body?

spizzi
Apprentice

Hi folks,

I have a 1Ds MKIII and am a proud owner of a brand new EF70-200L ISII lens.  I purchased it from an authorized big box retailer so I am not worried that it is grey market.  

I noticed the lens body, when connected to the 1Ds camera body, has a little/very slight movement at the reticule.  I believe the technical word of the lens part in question is the "rubber ring" contact of the lens body.  See attached picture of the area in question.

When I say slight movement, I mean maybe 0.5mm of play (when try to move the lens body by hand) while it is fully connected/locked into the 1Ds body.  

Just for comparison, my 24-70mm L lens body also has slight movement when fully connected/locked into the 1Ds body but its movement is maybe 0.25mm of play. 

So my question is: do you also experience this type of connectivity movement with your lens-to-camera body? Or is this abnormal.  I have a feeling it's very normal, it's just that it is a little more noticeable with my 70-200mm versus my 24-70mm.

Should I send it back to the retailer or send it in to Canon using the warranty? 

CanonLensPlay2.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority
I have read about the slight loose fit issue with this lens on a 5D3. I have this lens and it fits very tightly on my 6D. I have never heard of it affecting image quality, only people speculating that it could hypothetically impair weather sealing. I don't think that there would be any great market products sold through a big box dealer, and I also don't think there's any difference whatsoever between gray market and the USA version of a lens when it comes to the fit and finish and build quality. The only differences in the warranty
There is no such thing as a fake knock off lens. Grey market is only about where and how your warranty can be used..
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
I have read about the slight loose fit issue with this lens on a 5D3. I have this lens and it fits very tightly on my 6D. I have never heard of it affecting image quality, only people speculating that it could hypothetically impair weather sealing. I don't think that there would be any great market products sold through a big box dealer, and I also don't think there's any difference whatsoever between gray market and the USA version of a lens when it comes to the fit and finish and build quality. The only differences in the warranty
There is no such thing as a fake knock off lens. Grey market is only about where and how your warranty can be used.

Isn't it actually about whether, not where or how, the warranty can be used? It's my understanding that the warranty has to be used in the country where the lens was sold, but a grey market lens is a lens without a country. I believe that the grey market lenses sold by B&H, for example, are backed by B&H, not by Canon.

FWIW, I've used my 70-200 on my 5D3, and I don't recall there being any noticeable play in the mount. I won't have a chance to verify that this evening, but I'll try to do it tomorrow.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Clearly the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II is rubbish and should be tossed in the bin. But if you do that, someone might fish it out and start using it. So just to be "safe"... mail it to me and I'll see to it that it's disposed of properly. 😉

On a more serious note, the part of the camera body you are referring to is the "mounting flange". Most lenses will exhibit *some* amount of play (usually very tiny). If there were no play at all... it'd be difficult to get the lenses on and off the camera. The rubber gasket has a pleat in it and is more of a sealing skirt (the play is no problem for the gasket.)

I can't actually see your lens and tell you if it has more play than any of my lenses. The main thing to watch for is whether it impact the evenness of the focus (left to right or top to bottom) on the image. If you imagine the lens sagging downward significantly then the image projected onto the top and bottom of your sensor are not technically the same distance from the lens... and "in theory" one edge may have better focus then the opposite edge.

It should fit "about the same" as the other lenses you own. For the amount of money that it costs to buy a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II... the machining tolerances should be well-controlled. If you aren't satisified with the fit... send it back.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I believe it to be "normal".   But without seeing it for myself I will not say 100% but I will  say 90%.

Your fantastic 1Ds Mk III has some years and ware on it by now.  And you must realize there is a tolerence limit in manufacturing.  You might have recieved one that is at the upper limit of tolerence.  I am confidnet it is fine, however.

Try it and see !  Smiley Happy  WOW,  1Ds Mk III and the 70-200mm f2.8 is the best fo the best, as good as it gets.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements