cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older 5D

karlapep
Contributor

I have a full frame 5D purchased in 2006. Have EF lenses. Looking to upgrade body. Will 5DR or 5DRs fit my current lenses?

10 REPLIES 10

Peter
Authority
Authority

Yes.

Thanks. Just checking before I buy because of some of the things I had read about some EF lenses not fitting in some instances. But as far as I understand it appears that if it's a full frame, it should fit a full frame. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Will 5DR or 5DRs fit my current lenses?"

The fact they "fit" isn't the issue.  All EF lenses will fit all EF cameras.  The question is will they deliver the high level of quality that a 5Dr orr 5Ds can offer? What lenses do you currently?  A camera in the class you are considering demands the best resolution lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Presently I have 2 Canon EF Redline lenses that I use the most, 24-105mm & 70-200mm. 

IMHO, the ef 24-105mm f4 will be marginal but I bet you will see a nice improvement in your photos compared to your current 5D.  I love the 24-105 but I consider it to be an entry level "L" lens. The extreme MP count of the new 5DS/5DS R are at the top end. The 5DS and 5DS R are ultra-high-pixel cameras.   The 5DS/5DS R is for those who demand the very best. This means lenses, too.  Otherwise opt for a Mk IV.

Which, 70-200 ?

EB

The Canon 75-200 is a f2.8L.  The Mark IV is stil definitely in the consideration mix, gathering facts. 

@karlapep wrote:

The Canon 75-200 is a f2.8L.  The Mark IV is stil definitely in the consideration mix, gathering facts. 

In your previous post you said "70-200". If "75-200" isn't a typo, it would have to be a pretty old lens. I don't think there's been one while I've been watching.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No, good catch. Thanks! It's a 70-200. The lens is only about 6 years old as I recall. 

"The Canon 75-200 is a f2.8L."

This still doesn't tell me which 70-200 you have.  I suspect version 1 ?

"The Mark IV is stil definitely in the consideration mix, gathering facts."

Although either camera is capable of glorious pictures, the Mk IV is a more GP model and the Ds and Ds R is a more specialized model.  The vibes I am getting from you, the Mk IV is your choice.

EB
Announcements